none
Cannot encrypt a file in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I try to encrypt a folder in Windows 10, the Encryption box is grayed out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks1

Ann Christine

Friday, March 30, 2018 4:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When I try to encrypt a folder in Windows 10, the Encryption box is grayed out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks1

Ann Christine

Friday, March 30, 2018 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

Please check NtfsDisableEncryption registry make sure it has set the value to 0.

Open Command Prompt window as an administrator. Press the following command in it. And hit Enter key.

fsutil behavior set disableencryption 0

This command means to set NtfsDisableEncryption value to 0.

If the command runs successfully, it will ask you to reboot your system to apply the changes.

And check the version of your windows 10, Encrypt File System does not available for Windows 10 Home edition.

If it still doesn't work, I suggest you could also consult in Our windows 10 forum for more suggestion.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f23c6088-9a05-4cf8-be9d-389ebfe0b3bd/how-to-enable-window-10-encrypt-function-urgent?forum=win10itprosecurity

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 30, 2018 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 2, 2018 9:09 AM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Mary

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:18 AM