Missing Exchange 2010 log files RRS feed

• Question

• So, last week our exchange server stopped receiving mail because the hard drive was full.

The drive filled up because of the transaction log folder got too big.

The new Exchange administrator, who is unfamilar with 2010 so training is being done, some of the database log files to clear up some space and get email moving again.

These logs are gone and no backups were done prior to this.

I think this was very bad. I now see that the database is in a dirty shutdown state.

What do I have to do to get it into a clean state and everything back to normal?

Friday, January 13, 2012 3:24 PM

Answers

• In the situation where log files are missing, restore from a successful back up or perform Hard repair

Once the restoration completes, a file named restore.env along with the logs that were backed up without being committed to the database will be created in C:\Temp

Perform Hard Recovery by the command Eseutil /cc “Path of the restore.env containing folder”

restore.env file will be deleted after the completion of hard recovery

If we misses the sequence of logs, the recovery will fail and should use the command eseutil /cc “Path of the restore.env folder” /t to recover the databse

Hard Repair

Use eseutil /p “path of edb file”

More details are here: http://blog.windowsadmin.info/?p=48

Regards from www.windowsadmin.info | www.blog.windowsadmin.info
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, January 16, 2012 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:36 AM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:26 PM
  • So, to follow-up on this discussion, my DB was in a dirty shutdown state. I realized this by looking through the event viewer after the new Exchange admin told us she deleted some of the Exxx.log files.

Anyway, I contacted Microsoft, and the tech told me that as long as I can dismount the DB manually, Exchange will purge these files and release its dependence on those deleted log files.

Fortunately, I was able to manually dismount the DB.

I then moved the current logs to an archive folder and remounted the DB and all is well again.

Crisis averted!

• Marked as answer by decki Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:16 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:16 PM

All replies

• Try to do hardrecovery on the database to make it cleanshutdown.....

No need to have log file for the same..

Raji.S
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:43 PM
  • In the situation where log files are missing, restore from a successful back up or perform Hard repair

Once the restoration completes, a file named restore.env along with the logs that were backed up without being committed to the database will be created in C:\Temp

Perform Hard Recovery by the command Eseutil /cc “Path of the restore.env containing folder”

restore.env file will be deleted after the completion of hard recovery

If we misses the sequence of logs, the recovery will fail and should use the command eseutil /cc “Path of the restore.env folder” /t to recover the databse

Hard Repair

Use eseutil /p “path of edb file”

More details are here: http://blog.windowsadmin.info/?p=48

Regards from www.windowsadmin.info | www.blog.windowsadmin.info
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, January 16, 2012 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:36 AM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:26 PM
  • If the database is running and Exch is up and your only concern is the dirty shutdown, then perform a full backup and check again.

You can create another DB and move users across.

If you do the /p then dont foget to do a /d.

Sukh
    Monday, January 16, 2012 12:42 AM
  • So, to follow-up on this discussion, my DB was in a dirty shutdown state. I realized this by looking through the event viewer after the new Exchange admin told us she deleted some of the Exxx.log files.

Anyway, I contacted Microsoft, and the tech told me that as long as I can dismount the DB manually, Exchange will purge these files and release its dependence on those deleted log files.

Fortunately, I was able to manually dismount the DB.

I then moved the current logs to an archive folder and remounted the DB and all is well again.

Crisis averted!

• Marked as answer by decki Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:16 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:16 PM