none
IE no longer exists on my computer RRS feed

• Question

• IE no longer exists in my programs file.  I tried to download IE but message says cannot install because I already have a more current version.  I have IE file folders in which there are a few files, .ins, text, .xml.  No others.  The .ins files allows me to "extract".  When attempting to do so, Windows does not recognize the .ins file type, which seems odd as I understand .ins is a windows extension.  It will not allow me to open and when following the links to locate a program that will open it, I get 3rd party web sites wanting me to run THEIR registry fixing program.  HELP!  I am running Win 7.  Thank you.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:28 PM

Answers

• See my response to Robert Dyer-- above.  Any other thoughts on the issue.

I don't think you have responded to this question:

<quote>

Is Internet Explorer (or possibly Internet Explorer 11) listed in...

• Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off

</quote>

But if what you see there is  Internet Explorer 11  and it is unchecked it would explain all your symptoms.  Unchecking that option is designed to hide  iexplore.exe  and its shortcuts.

However, it is actually a GUI implementation of a DISM command and some other browsers apparently exploit that and perhaps somehow even hide the option in Windows Features.

So in case you don't even see the option to check in that list here is a way to get started at looking at the DISM side of it.

The easiest way is to start an Administrator: Windows PowerShell and there enter:

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online | where {$_.FeatureName -match "Internet"}

Just paste and enter the bold stuff.  The directory level doesn't matter.  I'm leaving that in the example as another reminder to be sure that you are using a PowerShell window which is elevated.  If you like you can get into one simply by entering  powershell.exe  in an elevated cmd window (aka Administrator Command Prompt).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 18, 2014 2:27 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Neither...

• C:\ProgramFiles\Internet Explorer <=this folder

nor 

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer <=this folder

...exist, is that correct?

• Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off <=this folder?

Is this a sudden, new problem or...?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Hi,

Please open the run box, then type:

iexplore.exe

then press enter, check if Internet explorer would load.

Further, would you please have a share with the folder path for that IE file folder?

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 17, 2014 9:46 AM
  • Thank you.  I have Internet Explorer folders under program files but no executable files. There is not IE folder in "programs & features".  I don't know when IE took a vanishing act as it is not a browser I use on a regular basis.  I am having computer issues however which I have been slowly resolving.  In the past I have used CC Cleaner as a registry cleaner & did not notice any problems.  Fairly recently however I used Registry Reviver, a registry cleaning program that appeared to be favorably received.  After this issue I used Malebytes.  And today when I was backing up some files, my Avast sent me several threats all associated with an old game program which has been on my program for years.  Per Avast instructions, I deleted the offending program which happened to be the game install program, not the game itself.  I do not know if all these problems are interrelated.  Any other ideas. 
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:33 AM
  • Thank you for responding to my problem.  It is much appreciated.  Run ieexplore.exe resulting in a blank-- does not exist.  I do not know what a "share with the program path" means.  See my response to Robert Dyer-- above.  Any other thoughts on the issue.
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:36 AM
  • [edited & reposted with quote]

Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:07 AM
  • See my response to Robert Dyer-- above.  Any other thoughts on the issue.

I don't think you have responded to this question:

<quote>

• Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off

</quote>

But if what you see there is  Internet Explorer 11  and it is unchecked it would explain all your symptoms.  Unchecking that option is designed to hide  iexplore.exe  and its shortcuts.

However, it is actually a GUI implementation of a DISM command and some other browsers apparently exploit that and perhaps somehow even hide the option in Windows Features.

So in case you don't even see the option to check in that list here is a way to get started at looking at the DISM side of it.

The easiest way is to start an Administrator: Windows PowerShell and there enter:

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online | where {$_.FeatureName -match "Internet"}

Just paste and enter the bold stuff.  The directory level doesn't matter.  I'm leaving that in the example as another reminder to be sure that you are using a PowerShell window which is elevated.  If you like you can get into one simply by entering  powershell.exe  in an elevated cmd window (aka Administrator Command Prompt).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 18, 2014 2:27 PM
    Answerer
  • I have Internet Explorer folders under program files but no executable files. There is not IE folder in "programs & features"

Assuming Win7 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

2a. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite (e.g., Avast Free) and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

2b. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed Avast, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed Avast?

3a. What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender & MalwareBytes Anti-Malware [MBAM]) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3b. Is MBAM Premium or MBAM Free installed?

3c. Has MBAM ever detected & removed anything?

4. What's the name of the game that Avast objected to, when was it installed, and where did you get it?

5. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

6. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

7a. Is KB2987107, KB3000061, KB3000869, KB2968294, KB2972100 and/or KB2979570 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

7b. How about KB2977629, KB2972211 and/or KB2973112?

8. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Do you have backups of ALL the changes CCleaner's Registry Cleaner and Registry Reviver have EVER made to the computer? [2]

==============================================
    [1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)
    [2] Injudicious use of registry cleaners may be playing a major role here. TIP: If you ever again think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, maximized, "swept" or optimised (it doesn't), read this article (and related links cited therein) then draw your own conclusions. Related => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  Indeed, I did not understand the questions.  IE was not listed among the programs in programs & settings, but when I pulled up "turn windows on or off", there it was-- and unchecked.  Checked it and it appears I am in working order.  An Avast threat notice popped up over the weekend when I was backing up some files-- the threat was a rootkit.  Once I removed the contaminated file, my computer seems to be working in "almost" perfect order.  Possibly the rootkit hide IE??  My primary browser is Firefox and I have been using it for years without a problem.  Thank you big time.  Your expertise is greatly appreciated.  Michelle Lyons, Kent, WA
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:52 PM
  • Follow-up: How have you determined that the computer is no longer infected?

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Because I did what Avast told me to do.  Sounds dumb but Avast has not led me wrong in 6 years since I started using it.  I ran malebytes as well and as soon as I have time I am planning on running the beta malebytes for rootkits.  My primary problem now is constant buffering, challenges getting on the internet (when my tablet & other older laptop does not).  Thanks.  This web site is wonderful. 
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:55 PM
  • I am unable to see any "Internet Explorer" options under the program and features and not able to install using the power shell as well. I tried to download and installed couple of time using the internet but not able to install successfully. Seems like its different problem.

Sunday, December 15, 2019 3:48 PM