Volume Name Missing from Logical Disk properties RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to have my disk alerts that go to our Service Desk include the volume name as drive letters doesnt make allot of sense to them. The property in the alert I am attempting this with is $Target/Property[Type="Windows3!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDisk"]/VolumeName$ but no data is returned. When I look in the details view for any of my logical disks the Volume Name property is blank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Zak

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:17 AM

Answers

• After looking more at the discovery it looks like the Volume Name is not actually discovered, why MS would not include the very useful volume label property is a little strange, but then the whole logical disk monitoring is not exactly very well done.

EDIT: On a side note, Cluster disks correctly discover the volume label attribute

Thanks for all your input

Zak

• Marked as answer by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:50 AM
    • Edited by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:48 AM

All replies

• Zak, the DisplayName property of the logical disk class contains the friendly label we're accustomed to, such as C:. Is that what you mean to present to the service desk?

Pete Zerger, MVP, System Center Cloud & Datacenter | Twitter: @pzerger | http://www.systemcentercentral.com

Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Hi Pete,

Not at all. D: E: mean nothing to the Service Desk. Im trying to use the actual Volume Label rather than the drive letter. We have our file structure in DFS so they simply see \\domain\dfs\user\profiles or \\domain\dfs\department. So having an alert of D: is out of space is meaningless to them, where as the Volume Label of D: is Departments so they would then know where in the DFS tree to look.

Cheers

Zak

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Does anyone know if its possible to use the Volume Name in a alert?
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Is it possible to set a custom property on a logical disk object and use that in the alert?
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:21 AM
  • SCOM isn't aware of your DFS (except the dfs mp). it reports about disk full of systemX on partion Y. That combination should be enough for the servicedesk to locate it and clean it. Seems pretty straight forward to me...

You can add a custom property by extending the logical disk class (create a new disk class based on the logical disk class) and create your own diskmonitor on the extended class with the custom property value in the alert.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:50 PM
  • After looking more at the discovery it looks like the Volume Name is not actually discovered, why MS would not include the very useful volume label property is a little strange, but then the whole logical disk monitoring is not exactly very well done.

EDIT: On a side note, Cluster disks correctly discover the volume label attribute

Thanks for all your input

Zak

• Marked as answer by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:50 AM
    • Edited by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zak Humphries Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:48 AM