none
Templates RRS feed

• General discussion

• So while I understand in principle what we're trying to accomplish with templates (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/wiki-message-templates.aspx) I have some questions to ask around this:
    1. If you've marked an article as How To, and someone starts having a discussion in it, should we slap thier hands and delete thier discussion comments?
    2. If you've marked an article as discussion, and someone raises a question to which someone answers with how to steps, at what point do we kill the discussion and make it how to?
    3. Are these useful to non-Microsoft contributors, or do they put off potential contributors because they aren't quite certain what the implications of editing the article are and don't want to break a how to by adding "non-how to" text to it?
    4. If someone adds an article, and someone else goes through and slaps a template on it, and they don't want one, how many times are we going to go back and forth before the author who doesn't want the template gives up and leaves the community because we're "style freaks"?

Friday, March 12, 2010 3:06 PM

All replies

• So while I understand in principle what we're trying to accomplish with templates (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/wiki-message-templates.aspx) I have some questions to ask around this:
    1. If you've marked an article as How To, and someone starts having a discussion in it, should we slap thier hands and delete thier discussion comments?
    2. If you've marked an article as discussion, and someone raises a question to which someone answers with how to steps, at what point do we kill the discussion and make it how to?
    3. Are these useful to non-Microsoft contributors, or do they put off potential contributors because they aren't quite certain what the implications of editing the article are and don't want to break a how to by adding "non-how to" text to it?
    4. If someone adds an article, and someone else goes through and slaps a template on it, and they don't want one, how many times are we going to go back and forth before the author who doesn't want the template gives up and leaves the community because we're "style freaks"?

Putting a template means we want the article be this or that. Ideally it should be article author (first contributor) who put the template. That's how he says: I suppose this article should be that sort of content.

Another good enough scenario is when someone respectful with a “good sense of community” (e.g. Wiki mod) goes through newly created articles that look complete and stale for at least a couple of days. And put a template if an article looks like this or that.

Who do we want it? To prevent misunderstandings. I believe that having theory separated from practice is great. All types of content benefit from it. So if I go into newly created topic and want to “improve” something I'd like to know if this is what article’s author wants it to be.

Consider the following scenario. I come into an article that speaks some high-level things. I recently faced some problems with this sort of technology so I would like to share some practical experience. If I don't recognize different content types I'd likely fill the article with bunch of step-by-steps. As the result article would be something strange. A part theory and part how-to. I personally hate this kind of things. It makes me switching different parts of my brain constantly while reading. Learning theory is not a good time when you sit in front of a broken system and need to fix it ASAP. And how-to is not a great thing when you're sitting at your learning desk and want to know how things generally work. So I'd better get warned that this particular article is a high-level theory. In this case I'd not edit it and start a new article instead.

Oh, sorry for being so verbose. I understand that's not what you’re interested in. You asked about conflict resolution. Well. I think, it depends. There's no silver bullet and no strict laws. We'd better discuss every conflict individually. And if we got enough conflicts that look similar to each other — that would be the time to think of some laws.

Friday, March 12, 2010 4:22 PM
  • We need an alternative method. Right now the template text is what's showing up in search.
    Ed
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:42 PM
    Owner
  • In additon to what Ed mentioned, the HTML is being truncated when displayed...

It copies and pastes fine, and the display can be corrected by inserting the following HTML wrapper around the HTML code:

<div style="width: 620px; overflow: scroll;">

<!-- Paste in the HTML code here -->

</div>

Thanks!

(I should note that you had requested that we not edit the HTML directly :D )

Kim Ditto-Ehlert, Technical Writer, Microsoft
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:09 PM