none
FIM + OCS2007 + LYNC 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi team, i´m new in this forum and i'm expecting this could be a great option to deal with specific FIM doubts. Actually i want to know how OCS2007/LYNC2010 could be integrated with FIM2010. Is there any documentation about it available?
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• You can easily provision OCS 2007 using FIM 2010.  OCS 2007 provisioning is basically just updating LDAP addributes in Active Directory.

Lync 2010 is different.  Lync relies on Powershell cmdlets for provisioning.  These cmdlets make direct calls to SQL instead of just modifying LDAP attributes.  I'm not sure what the best way is to provision with FIM or if they'll come out with specific Lync integration for FIM.  Was kind of hoping we'd see an answer from Microsoft on this.

Have gotten any other answers to this question?

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:44 PM
  • You can easily provision OCS 2007 using FIM 2010.  OCS 2007 provisioning is basically just updating LDAP addributes in Active Directory.

Lync 2010 is different.  Lync relies on Powershell cmdlets for provisioning.  These cmdlets make direct calls to SQL instead of just modifying LDAP attributes.  I'm not sure what the best way is to provision with FIM or if they'll come out with specific Lync integration for FIM.  Was kind of hoping we'd see an answer from Microsoft on this.

Have gotten any other answers to this question?

Sounds like you'll need some workflow activities to do the PowerShell. I just have a generic PowerShell WF activity so it's fairly easy to wire up these scenarios. The other option is an XMA but that's alot more complex.
    My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
    My Blog - www.briandesmond.com
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Thanks Dan / Brian for the information, it looks like integrate FIM with LYNC becomes complex specially if you don't have experience with Powershell command-lines. Is there somekind of example about how to create a generic PowerShell WF?

I really appreciate.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Dan/Brian/Fer

I would like to know where can I find Information about Lync Provision and Deprovision ???

Because my client has upgraded from OSC 2007 to Lync, and I can´t find any information about it !!!

Thanks

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:21 PM
  • can someone give a brief on permission and attributes required for FIM2010 to provision users for OCS2007 R2
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Brian, can you post your powershell and workflow for enabling Lync users?

Opper ...don't stop.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Opper,

at the end, i enabled LYNC service for new users just runing the following powershell script:

• Import-Module 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2010\Modules\Lync\Lync.psd1'
    • $today = "{0:MM/dd/yyyy} 00:00 AM" -f (Get-Date)
    • Get-CsAdUser -Filter {WhenCreated -gt $today} | Enable-CsUser -RegistrarPool "lync-std.domain.com" -SipAddressType SamAccountName -SipDomain domain.com

At first, i tried to create a Custom Workflow to do it through FIM, but didn't find a very clear documentation about how to create a functional Custom Workflow. So if any body there can share a Step-by-Step guide about it please is very welcomed (please no refer to "Introduction to Sequential Workflows" as it didn't say so much and it's a very different scenario than provisioning).

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:01 AM
  • hi,

Can u please share the  workflow activity for Lync provisioining. it will be helpfull for my pratice

Monday, November 28, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hey thats sneaky.

So you have a PS script running on the Lync 2010 server polling the AD DC for recent Accounts. It will work I guess..

Just a couple of points I would like to raise.

Customers are billed $$$ per Lync account. How do you sort the newly created AD accounts into those that should get Lync 2010 accounts from those (e.g. admin accounts, test accounts etc..) who should NOT get Lync 2010 accounts?

How do you maintain them i.e. sync  lync address with a changed email address (e.g. on marriage/divorce)

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Thinking more on this sneaky Fernando approach..

I notice the lack of any one replying to Fernando's request about step-by-step WF/custom activity on this subject.

My way is a kludge and relies on having a PS script being called now and then on the Lync server.. much depends how "hot" a customer wants his Lync accounts to be.. but this could work. For the life of me I cant see how this is plugged inside of the FIM set up though. This assumes that a User's Lync address is same as the Email address...

Arrange FIM to write the text "NEW" on extensionattribute2 say (or maybe own extended schema attribute) when FIM creates new accounts and/or write text "CHANGE" to extensionattribute2 whenever FIM changes the Email address.

On the Lync server, Poll for ad accounts having non-null extensionattribute2. Those with "NEW" get Email from AD account and call Enable-CSUser cmdlet. Those with "CHANGE" get the Email from ad and call Set-CSUser cmdlet

After the (successful) PS calls, nullify the extensionattribute2 value.

Friday, February 3, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Fortunately that case was very very simple as my customer assigned lync to every user in the organization. Otherwise, i would need to write a custom workflow or develop a connector for lync.

Friday, February 3, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Hey Fernando,

FYI, I wrote an App that will automate Lync accounts.. check it out.

Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )
    Z-Term -- Automate IT account termination process ( AD / Exchange )

Thursday, April 5, 2012 11:18 PM