Configure outlook 2013 to use first name when creating email address RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed Outlook 2013 on a new server in my organization. We use last name, first initial as the user name for the logon in our active directory. When I created a new mailbox for a user as a test, outlook used the last name, first initial, as the email address. I would like to use just the first name as the email address. How can change I this so outlook will use the users first name when creating the email address.

Thank You.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Exchange side, it depends on the address format setting in Email Address Policy.
    Run below command in EMS:
    Get-EmailAddressPolicy | fl Identity,*Template*

Therefore, we need set %g@domain.com by EnabledPrimarySMTPAddressTemplate and EnabledEmailAddressTemplates. for example:
    Set-EmailAddressPolicy <Policy> -EnabledPrimarySMTPAddressTemplate %g@domain.com
    Then, recheck the email address after applying this email address policy on mailbox.

More information, refer to: Email address templates section

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, April 23, 2018 2:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, April 23, 2018 9:48 PM
    Sunday, April 22, 2018 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Acenyc59,

Thanks for visiting our forum. Then here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook client. Since your query about creating new mailboxes is more related to Exchange sever, I'll move your thread to the dedicated Exchange forum for better response.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

In Exchange side, it depends on the address format setting in Email Address Policy.
    Run below command in EMS:
    Get-EmailAddressPolicy | fl Identity,*Template*

Therefore, we need set %g@domain.com by EnabledPrimarySMTPAddressTemplate and EnabledEmailAddressTemplates. for example:
    Set-EmailAddressPolicy <Policy> -EnabledPrimarySMTPAddressTemplate %g@domain.com
    Then, recheck the email address after applying this email address policy on mailbox.

More information, refer to: Email address templates section

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, April 23, 2018 2:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, April 23, 2018 9:48 PM
    Sunday, April 22, 2018 1:43 PM
  • Thank you very much for the information. I am totally new to exchange, and I've only installed it one time. I am just learning how to configure it. I'm not sure where you are asking me to run these commands, but I'll figure it out. Let me do some reading.

Thank you.

Monday, April 23, 2018 9:51 PM
  • Well, you can open Exchange Management Shell to run command. 
    Also, EAC is another management tool for Exchange. Figure as below:

More information about EAC, for your reference: Exchange admin center in Exchange 2013

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:35 AM