none
Status Manager for new assignments RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We created a project plan with user A and then change the status manager for the tasks to user B

When using self-assignment from the timesheet I notice that the approval goes to the project owner (user A) but task updates go to the status manager (user B)

I would have expected that the status manager would be ultimately responsible for assignments for the tasks they are status manager for and therefore would receive the create assignment requests too.

When I update the project owner to user B, I notice that subsequent create assignment request then go to user B...

is this normal behavior?

Thanks,
    Shane

Shane O'Hanlon (Accenture)

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:34 PM

All replies

• HI Shane, 

yes its behaving as expected.

considering the fact that Project owner is an ultimate owner of a whole project, whereas status manager can be introduced within same project to approve partial or all the work work submitted by resources related to status manager. 

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:14 AM
  • Thanks Kurram,

Do you know of any documentation that specifically describes that?

Thanks,

Shane

Shane O'Hanlon (Accenture)

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:21 AM
  • HI Shane, I don't know of any specific documentation that would describe that behavior, but Kurram is correct in his description.  I agree in some ways that if a task already has assignments and these assignments have one status manager then it might make more sense to also have the new assignment request go to the same person.  Although status manager tends to be something we display at a task level - it really belongs to the assignment - and when requesting the assignment the assignment does not yet exist - so there are some design challenges around this.  For example - if multiple PMs have assigned the same task to different resources each assignment will have a different status manager - so if I then add myself to the task who should get the request?  To be consistent we defer to the Project Owner.

I hope this helps with understanding the feature.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:17 PM
    Owner