How to move an entire site, site collection, web application or a service from farm (Test) to another (Production) RRS feed

• Question

• I created some web applications and many site collections within my Test farm, Now i need to move to production farm, and the question is :

Is there any easy way to migrate/move/deploy my sites/web application and hierarchy of sites to target farm;

Is backup my currently farm and restored in target farm is a suitable solution?;

Do I need to export all my site as wsp template solutions and then deploy them individually to target farm after re-create all web application and re-configure service application from zero.

So Please is there any clear way or process to deploy to another farm.

Thanks in advance
    Monday, January 21, 2013 9:49 AM

Answers

• A backup of the web application is suitable for moving your content to production if you want everything in the web application to be migrated (content databases, site collections, sites). If there are things you do not wish to migrate, you could migrate them and delete them or remove them before backing up the web application. The restore will also restore some web application configurations. 

Alternatively, you could copy the content databases from your test environment to production and attach it to your production farm.

You will need to ensure to deploy any solutions that are currently being used by the test web application to production otherwise you will may be unable to restore or attach the content database.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:58 PM