none
Why if I choose "open in new Tab" it opens the link in new window instead? RRS feed

• Question

• In Internet Explorer 10, despite I've activated the Tab navigation, when I right click on a link and choose "open in New Tab" it opens it in a new window. The same is happening if I middle click on a link.

If I right click and choose  "open in New Window", it opens it correctly in a new window.

Can you help me?

Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• when I right click on a link and choose "open in New Tab" it opens it in a new window.

What happens if you press Ctrl-t or Ctrl-k?

Also try pressing Ctrl- or Ctrl+Shift-  when clicking?

I suppose you should also try just  Shift- when clicking too, equivalent to your Open in New Window test.

BTW try testing with both Shift- keys since your symptom could be explained by having one of them appear to be stuck.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the hint but no success.

Here the result of the test:

Ctrl+T: opens a new empty Tab

Ctrl+K: duplicates the current Tab in a new one

Ctrl+click: opens the link in a new Window (I suppose this is wrong...)

Ctrl+ Shift+ click: opens the link in a new Window (I suppose this is wrong...)

Shift+ click: opens the link in a new Window (I suppose this is correct)

Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Ctrl+ Shift+ click: opens the link in a new Window (I suppose this is wrong...)

In the past  actxprxy.dll  has been thought to have been associated with this symptom.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/internet-explorer-issue-open-in-new-tab-and-open/58f0428e-4d7b-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5?page=2

(Microsoft search for
        actxprxy "new window" "new tab"
    )

Try re-registering it.  (Or try any of the various regsvr32 based scripts for a sledge hammer approach to problem solving.)

However, also note that one of the posters in that incident that I am citing admitted that his symptom was due to third-party interference, so if you wanted to try to understand your symptom better you may have to resort to some clean-boot troubleshooting to isolate the cause.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:29 AM
    Answerer