Activesync problem with mailboxes using exchange activesync for mobile devices RRS feed

• Question

• I just migrated from exchange 2003 std to exchange 2010 ent.  On the 2003 machines we were able to access mailboxes with our mobile devices using exchange.  The problem is accounts created before the new server came online will not connect via exchange activesync on the mobile devices.  New accounts have no problems.  I can connect the mailboxes with IMAP4 even owa, but not activesync.   Any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Wendell

Friday, September 9, 2011 12:10 AM

Answers

• Does it work if you remove the account from the device, and then re-add the same account? Some ActiveSync clients don't handle mailbox migrations properly.

Do you see an error if you use one of the failing accounts for testing on http://testexchangeconnectivity.com?

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:30 AM

All replies

• What happens when you try?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:56 PM
  • On the devices it simply says, The connection to the server failed.  The disturbing thing is that on a new account on the same device the mailbox connects without any problems.  It is simply those mailboxes that were created before the 2010 server was added to the forest. 

I have tried creating a new policy for activesync. But that gives the same results.  Another odd thing is that the devices do not show a relationship with the failed devices when I use the full version of OWA, but if I use OWA lite, the relationship with the devices appear.  I am using exchange 2010 sp1 enterprise.  Windows Sever 2008 enterprise. 

Thank you in advance.

Monday, September 12, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Does it work if you remove the account from the device, and then re-add the same account? Some ActiveSync clients don't handle mailbox migrations properly.

Do you see an error if you use one of the failing accounts for testing on http://testexchangeconnectivity.com?

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Andreas,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Using the testexchangeconnectivity site, I get successes all the way up to the folder sync command test.  I get the response: HTTP 500 response.  Removing and adding the account from the device does not resolve the problem.  I have tried this three times on a device that never had the user on it ever.

But it is good to know that the system is rejecting at the folder sync command, just need to know why.  Much appreciated.  Any more help will be likewise appreciated.

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:18 PM
  • I think we have a winner.  Thanks bunches Andreas.  After finally getting an error code, I was able to track down the problem.  It was two-fold.  The account did not have inheritable permissions set and the owner of the account was domain admin.    So afte making those changes, the old boxes work with no problems.  Great tool that testexchangeconnectivity site.

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:47 PM
  • I just migrated from exchange 2003 std to exchange 2010 ent.  On the 2003 machines we were able to access mailboxes with our mobile devices using exchange.  The problem is accounts created before the new server came online will not connect via exchange activesync on the mobile devices.  New accounts have no problems.  I can connect the mailboxes with IMAP4 even owa, but not activesync.   Any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Wendell

Please check this link : http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/12/08/3408985.aspx
    Monday, September 12, 2011 2:52 PM