Windows 7 on Pentium III 1GHz? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I would like to ask if it is possible to install Windows 7 on my Pentium III computer. The specs are:

• Pentium III 1GHz
    • 512MB (Max)
    • ATI Radeon 9800 128MB Video card
    • DVD burner
    • 160GB Primary hard drive and 10GB Secondary hard drive for swap

Right now when I tried installing it, the screen says "Boot FailureSystem Halted" (it's writen exactly like that with out the quotes). But then when I tried using my Puppy Linux distro (OS on CD) It worked normally. I even re-fomated and re-partitioned both my drives and burned a second copy of Windows 7 RC. So essencially, I'm asking if it will work when I install it, and how I can fix the booting problem.

Thanks, BlueX273

P.S., The P3 computer is my only operational test computer, so I'm hopping I can install it. I'm dying to use Windows 7!!!

Monday, July 6, 2009 7:31 AM

Answers

• Hello, thanks to everyone who has answered my question. I have succesfully installed Window 7 on my Pentium III computer!!! All I did was, low-level wiped both my hard drives, re-partioned both drives, and installed a copy of Windows XP (without activating because it's only temporary). From there, I started the Windows 7 installation process from inside Windows XP. Then after two or so hours later, I have successfully installed Windows 7! And my average boot times are usually 30 to 60 seconds!!! So far, the only down-side to this is I have to keep the tower pannels of to prevent overheating, and I don't get to keep it for as long as I want (unless I buy the official copy).

In conclusion, Windows 7 is a great looking, non-reasource hog, operating system; and I would like to thank the creators of Windows 7 for making all of my dreams and wishes for Windows Vista come true!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:17 AM

All replies

• Someone has managed to install Windows 7 onto a 266 MHz Pentium II processor, 96 MB of SDRAM memory, and a 4 MB video card. 
    But even a Pentium III system took 17 hours to install Windows 7, and it takes 17 minutes to boot the machine.

Someone else claims to have...
    "installed Win 7 RC on a Pentium III 850 MHz notebook with 512 MB RAM and 100 MHz FSB in slightly less than 1 hour and it works exceptionally well."
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi, I would like to ask if it is possible to install Windows 7 on my Pentium III computer. The specs are:

• Pentium III 1GHz
    • 512MB (Max)
    • ATI Radeon 9800 128MB Video card
    • DVD burner
    • 160GB Primary hard drive and 10GB Secondary hard drive for swap

Right now when I tried installing it, the screen says "Boot FailureSystem Halted" (it's writen exactly like that with out the quotes). But then when I tried using my Puppy Linux distro (OS on CD) It worked normally. I even re-fomated and re-partitioned both my drives and burned a second copy of Windows 7 RC. So essencially, I'm asking if it will work when I install it, and how I can fix the booting problem.

Thanks, BlueX273

P.S., The P3 computer is my only operational test computer, so I'm hopping I can install it. I'm dying to use Windows 7!!!

Hi

Although the specs for that system are the minimum recommended for Windows 7, it should work.

However, the 'Boot FailureSystem Halted' is a hardware problem. It could be caused by a failing HDD, corrupt MBR, or many other issues. You need to try and track down where this error is coming from.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Monday, July 6, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Hello, thanks to everyone who has answered my question. I have succesfully installed Window 7 on my Pentium III computer!!! All I did was, low-level wiped both my hard drives, re-partioned both drives, and installed a copy of Windows XP (without activating because it's only temporary). From there, I started the Windows 7 installation process from inside Windows XP. Then after two or so hours later, I have successfully installed Windows 7! And my average boot times are usually 30 to 60 seconds!!! So far, the only down-side to this is I have to keep the tower pannels of to prevent overheating, and I don't get to keep it for as long as I want (unless I buy the official copy).

In conclusion, Windows 7 is a great looking, non-reasource hog, operating system; and I would like to thank the creators of Windows 7 for making all of my dreams and wishes for Windows Vista come true!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:17 AM