DPM 2012 R2 agent update on Windows 2003 server x64

Question

• Hi,

I have an old windows 2003 server x64 protected by DPM 2012 Sp1. After DPM upgrade to 2012 R2 I cannot update DPM Agent on server. If I try to update agent manually error message is : agentsetup.exe is not a valid win32 application.

Mihai

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Same problem with Windows 2003 server 32 bit, i have installed vc 2010 redistributable x86 and i use the x86 agent installer.

DPM 2012 R2 does not support 2003 ? But i do not see anything about that.

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Having exact same problem. Installed the agent on a 2012 and 2008r2 server. Fail to install the agent on a 2003 x64  server (std edition SP2).

I have found a log file "setupapi.log" in c:\windows and it shows:

#W361 An unsigned, incorrectly signed, or Authenticode(tm) signed file "c:\program files\microsoft data protection manager\dpm\bin\dpmfilter.inf" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0xe0000244: The software was tested for compliance with Windows Logo requirements on a different version of Windows, and may not be compatible with this version.

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:16 PM
  • After check this :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860400.aspx

Seems that Windows server 2003/2003 R2/Vista is not supported by DPM in System Center 2012 R2 !!!!

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Damn you Microsoft.

So now I need to roll back to DPM 2012 somehow.

Thanks a bunch.

My main SQL database server is on 2003 R2 x64 and there is no plans to upgrade it as it is running fine. So we are stuck with DPM 2012 and cannot move forward now. Great.

After the disaster that is Windows Server 2012 (touch interface on a server HAHAHAHAAH!!!!!?!?!?!) and now this I am seriously looking to move away from MS products.

• Edited by Kaonix Friday, October 18, 2013 2:00 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:54 PM
  • After check this :

Seems that Windows server 2003/2003 R2/Vista is not supported by DPM in System Center 2012 R2 !!!!

That is correct. 2012 R2 no longer supports 2003. We have given feedback to Microsoft that DPM needs to continue supporting 2003.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Proposed as answer by Kaonix Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:26 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 5:27 AM
  • I like things like that

This Is not a valid win32 application

The Programmer cannot make a Query with "This is not a supportet OS" !!!

Very hard Work for MS and not so Helpfull?!?!

Thanks for stolen our time!

Roendi

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:24 AM
  • After check this :

That is just disgusting.... Seriously. 
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Thank you just very F.....G much Microsoft DPM Team !
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:47 AM
  • D@mned if you do upgrade - d@mned if you don't. 

If you don't upgrade you can't back up your new servers (no 2012 R2 Hyper-V support as an example)

If you do upgrade you can't back up your old servers (2003 R2)...

Thanks MS for that well thought out strategy - and for not supporting your own OS that is in your own catalog as being officially fully supported until 2015! 

Wow... Just Wow.... and they wonder.... why are we losing market share every day? 

• Proposed as answer by Meitzi Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:26 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Here is the mess that Microsoft have created for me:

Cannot run Exchange 2013 on Server 2012 R2

Cannot Backup Server 2003 R2 with DPM 2012 R2

Cannot use Dynamics CRM 2011 with Exchange 2013

Cannot backup Server 2012 R2 with DPM 2012

Cannot in-place upgrade my 2003 R2 database server to 2012 so that I can then back it up with DPM 2012 R2

Cannot use POP3 on Microsoft Surface RT

Cannot do this cannot do that!!!

Seriously the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

It used to be an easy choice for a small business to use Microsoft products. Now it is jumping through hoops just to get Microsoft own products working on Microsoft own server platforms!!!

When can we expect DPM 2012 R2 to put support back  for 2003 server?!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:54 PM
  • This is crazy. I can't believe they've dropped support for a product that's allegedly supported until 2015!

I've upgraded my hyper-v cluster to 2012 R2, but as loosing the capability to back up my 2003 servers is not an option, I'm going to stick with 2012 SP1 and just install the DPM client inside each of the Hyper-V guests.

I suggest others do the same until Microsoft fix the problem. Looking on the bright side, I don't have to spend money upgrading to DPM 2012 R2.

• Edited by WorkProfile Monday, December 2, 2013 2:03 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Yep, this is a total mess.  Not everything can be upgrade from 2003.  I have an old ERP that requires a specific version of SQL 2005 that is not able to run on 2008.  That said, our only option is run it on 2003.  The problem is all of our new Hyper-V hosts are 2012 R2 which requires DPM 2012 R2.  How is this possible?  I might have to fire up Backup Exec just for this one server.  Talk about dropping the ball here.

Most larger companies that run large amounts of Hyper-V and DPM are almost guranteed to have some 2003 servers around.  Are these companies supposed to decide on Windows Server 2012 R2 for its Hyper-V benefits or should they say hell with it, we need support for 2003 via DPM.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Ou man I'm pissed off right now.

- Meitzi [MCITP]

Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:30 AM
  • Where's the feedback on Microsoft Connect regarding this issue
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Anyone have a plan on how to downgrade?
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:11 PM
  • This is really unacceptable.  DPM already has so many shortcomings (for example, it wastes hard drive space like mad and it's quite difficult to reclaim once it's been allocated to a volume), but the one thing I could count on was that it had amazing built-in support for Everything Microsoft.  With DPM 2012 R2, that's no longer the case.  Only 2008 R2 or newer?  In my wildest dreams could I migrate all my workloads out of 2003 R2 and 2008, but fact is I can't, whether or not the OS is supported by Microsoft.  Of course, the fact that 2003 R2 is supported into 2015 certainly makes this decision more dubious.  Plus... this is a removal of a feature.  It's not like VSS doesn't exist in 2003 anymore or that a new feature was introduced to 2003 that isn't being added.  This is just taking out something that worked because they want their support matrix to be smaller so there's less QA time needed.
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:51 PM
  • Is anyone from Microsoft listening? That was a real shoot in the own foot.

Put back Windows server 2003 backup support via DPM 2012 R2!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Is anyone from Microsoft listening? That was a real shoot in the own foot.

Put back Windows server 2003 backup support via DPM 2012 R2!

Hi Thomas,

I can re-assure you Microsoft is listening. The right teams have seen this thread and they have heard all the feedback here loud and clear.

We all have to wait and see what they do.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:43 PM
  • This is crazy! Prerequisites state if the protected computer is running Windows 2003 you need to download KB975759. Doesn't say anything about not supporting it.

Article here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn296603.aspx

Microsoft.  This is needed, please help.  I like a poster above have several servers that are running an older ERP system that is running Windows 2003 and SQL 2005.  I don't have a choice right now to upgrade.  Requirements of Sarbanes Oxley require this to be backed up.  I do not want to roll back.  This is really unacceptable.

Cameron

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Yep, I read the same requirements doc and that is why I proceeded with the upgrade.  Now I'm screwed.  If you ask me, I think MS has sacrificed the business customers in order to focus on the consumer product line.  In reality if I as a IT director am seeing that any company doesn't adequately support it's own product line then I have to choose a different company.  It's not a loyalty issue it is simply a pragmatic reality.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Well I'm glad that MS is listening.  But from the perspective of business users, this is mission critical.  I have a win 2003 storage server as my primary file server in our organization.  If one of my users gets hit with crypto-locker we are screwed.  So, from my perspective this is a MAJOR operational issue and needs a fix ASAP,  not next month.  I took the time to read the pre-requisites document, referred to in one of the earlier posts, prior to doing my upgrade and believed based on that I could move ahead with the upgrade.  Now I am in a jam, which will involve additional downtime and resources. This issue has been know for months now and yet, nothing has been done.  Use to be I could rely on backward support or at least clear and advance notice of discontinuance, especially in enterprise products. Apparently not any more.

<opinion> I love that MS is working hard to address the consumer market with Win 8 and Win Phone; and, that it is charging ahead to provide new technology to via cloud services and wonderful enhancements for the enterprise but, if they are going fail to consider the impact on their enterprise customers then they will lose their biggest customers and they will be a serious down-turn.  I'm not saying the need to support everything forever, but they need to do a better job of communicating these changes far enough in advance to allow us to address them in a controlled manner. </opinion>

This is very troubling for so many reasons.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:15 PM
  • I installed the hotfix and the client still won't install.

This has me in a BIG bind.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Has there been any indication from Microsoft that they are taking this issue seriously?

I find it astonishing that other System Centre 2012 R2 components (config & operations manager) allow their agents to be installed on 2003 but not DPM.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:29 AM
  • I hope MS is listening, because if they don't put back support for Windows 2003 servers, which we have lots of them in our Company and no plan to upgrade for now, we are going back to Symantec Backup Exec. They just lost a big customer. Actually our CIO is making a decision to get rid of MS System Center completely if MS is not putting back Windows Server 2003 protection with DPM 2012 R2. I've been bragging about DPM but this is a big turn off. Is MS really going with this??????? Unbelievable....

I am going to complain till they change their mind, and I hope they care enough :-)

• Edited by hmandi Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:03 AM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:02 AM
  • Yes, like you I sold DPM to my boss as the most cost-effective solution to back up our in-house Microsoft servers and now I find that Microsoft have moved the goalposts. This is madness! How can they casually drop support for 2003 in the space of a minor release???

I'm now left in the embarrassing position of trying to explain to my boss that my original proposal is no longer valid unless I use a previous version of DPM - and who in their right mind is going to do that, what with Microsoft pushing us to upgrade every opportunity they get.

I am really, really disappointed and feel severely let down by Microsoft.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:29 AM
  • Hello Folks, I am the GPM for the DPM product group and sincerely apologize for this. Not supporting an already supported server OS for back-up is DPM 2012 R2 was a mistake. We are fixing this in the next update roll-up for DPM scheduled to be released shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Shreesh Dubey

Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hello Folks, I am the GPM for the DPM product group and sincerely apologize for this. Not supporting an already supported server OS for back-up is DPM 2012 R2 was a mistake. We are fixing this in the next update roll-up for DPM scheduled to be released shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Shreesh Dubey

Thank you. This is the answer everyone in the thread was waiting to hear :)
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:29 AM
  • Hi, an indication as to when the update roll-up will be released would be useful.

Days, weeks, months?

Thanks,

Lee

Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:08 PM

Shreesh Dubey

Shreesh, this is quite an astonishing admission and I applaud you for having the guts to say so. It's appreciated. Of course, the cynic in me wonders whether it was a mistake or really a strategic decision. Either way I look forward to the speedy release of the roll-up.

Thanks,
    Andy.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:44 PM
  • I just want to say 'thank you' to whoever made this decision.  It is the right decision.  I am glad I will be able to upgrade DPM to 2012 R2 so all my System Center products are "R2."  I hope that backward compatibility remains a priority in future versions of System Center.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:23 PM

Shreesh Dubey

Thank you Shreesh for responding to this thread.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Would it be possible to get some timeline for release.  I need to make the decision to stay on this version or to go through the pain of rolling back to 2012 SP1. 
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:58 PM
  • We really appreciate this great news. Thank you Shreesh, much respect...
    Friday, March 7, 2014 5:05 AM
  • Hello,

I installed UR1 for DPM2012R2 and the surprise is: it is not working!

"agentsetup.exe is not a valid win32 application"

It fails with v4.2.1205.0 and v4.2.1217.0 on Server 2003 SP2 and Server 2003 R2 SP2

Please give any update on this issue! Thank you very much!

Dave

Friday, March 14, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Not really sure where you read or understood it would work. 2008 / 2003 / xp are not supported in the r2 version yet (if ever). You will have to roll back to 2012 sp1 if you need to back those up. Only currently supports 2008r2 and above.
    Friday, March 14, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Hello,

I installed UR1 for DPM2012R2 and the surprise is: it is not working!

"agentsetup.exe is not a valid win32 application"

It fails with v4.2.1205.0 and v4.2.1217.0 on Server 2003 SP2 and Server 2003 R2 SP2

Please give any update on this issue! Thank you very much!

Dave

Tried this version too and it fails, so typical MS fix one thing break another. I need fix /notification fix this ASAP.
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:21 PM
  • You have to go back to 2012 SP1  

NOT 2012R2

Saturday, March 15, 2014 3:22 PM
  • If you had read the thread, you would see that "Shreesh Dubey" claims to work for Microsoft and that UR1 would fix the issue of 2003 not working. So that is where he "read or understood it would work". We are all expecting that UR1 would fix the issue. So it has not... Is Shreesh Dubey a fraudster?
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:41 PM
  • UR1 was released before his answer I believe he is referring to the next UR or SP.
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:58 PM
  • If you had read the thread, you would see that "Shreesh Dubey" claims to work for Microsoft and that UR1 would fix the issue of 2003 not working. So that is where he "read or understood it would work". We are all expecting that UR1 would fix the issue. So it has not... Is Shreesh Dubey a fraudster?

Hi,

Shreesh Dubey does work for the DPM team @ Microsoft. UR1 for R2 does not contain the fix for this. What Shreesh was referring to is the next rollup for R2 wich has not been released yet. When they release it I am sure everyone will know as this has been a hot topic for some time.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Shreesh Dubey does work for the DPM team @ Microsoft. UR1 for R2 does not contain the fix for this. What Shreesh was referring to is the next rollup for R2 wich has not been released yet. When they release it I am sure everyone will know as this has been a hot topic for some time.

Hi,

thank you for the update. Because of the date of the answer of Shreesh I thought he refers to Update Rollup 1. It's a pity that I have to wait longer.

"Not really sure where you read or understood it would work. 2008 / 2003 / xp are not supported in the r2 version yet (if ever). You will have to roll back to 2012 sp1 if you need to back those up. Only currently supports 2008r2 and above."

--> Maybe it was a mistake from me not to read the full release notes, nevertheless it was a bigger mistake from Microsoft not to support Windows Server 2003 as it is officially still in extended support. Also from the view of my customers, they have often Server 2003 in use, because often they use 3rd party software which is not supported on newer OS. I can understand that Microsoft wants to  push to move to newer OS, but reality is, that this process of changing OS is slower than Microsoft wants to have, and with the actual tactic, I believe, they are annoying customers, and time will come when the customers move to alternatives.

I like DPM! But, please Microsoft, take a little bit more care about. I still have the feeling that DPM is a little stepchild for you ...

Monday, March 17, 2014 7:59 AM
  • Hello folks - quick update

1. Some of you assumed the "next update" in my reply referred to UR1. UR1 was released in January of this year - I meant to say UR2. Apologies to those that tried UR1 only to see it fail :-(  

2. UR2 is scheduled to go out as part of the System Center Roll-up which goes out about once a quarter. I don't have the exact date, but I expect UR2 to be available towards the end of April 2014.

3. My sincere thanks to Steve Buchanan for validating that I indeed work for the DPM team @ Microsoft ! I look forward to meeting some of you at TechEd in May (where I will be presenting DPM) so you can see I really do exist :-))

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Hello Mr. Dubey,

is there any chance to release the part of the upcoming UR2, which is doing the fix for supporting Server 2003 in DPM, now, as a standalone fix?

I would really appreciate, because I cannot wait until end of April.

Thank you very much!

Friday, March 21, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hello Mr. Dubey,

is there any chance to release the part of the upcoming UR2, which is doing the fix for supporting Server 2003 in DPM, now, as a standalone fix?

I would really appreciate, because I cannot wait until end of April.

Thank you very much!

Yes please!
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:38 PM
  • I am also keen for 2003 support in 2012-R2.

I didn't find out about this limitation/bug until I started migrating all my agents to a new onsite and offsite 2012-R2 server.

I had hoped to only keep the 2012-R1 DPM operational for a few weeks, but seems I now need to keep it alive until UR2 is available or I will not be able to backup 2003 servers.

I can only practically have the tape library connected to one of the servers, so 2003 will have no tape backup and this is not something my management is happy with.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:04 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2958100

Windows Server 2003 now supported!

• Edited by GichaML Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:14 AM
  • The download link goes to a very blank-looking Microsoft Update Catalog. Is it just me?
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Try this: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=2958100

http://about.me/exchange12rocks

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Thanks Kirill, that looks better.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:44 AM
  • Hello Folks,

We are excited to announce the release of Update Rollup 2 for SC DPM 2012 R2 that adds support for protection and recovery of Win2K3 servers. As we had announced during various events over the past couple of months we are committed to delivering key customer asks through update rollups going forward. This is the first of such updates and you can expect more in the upcoming updates.

The following workloads – SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008 R2 are supported on Win2K3.  Update Rollup 2 also adds support for protection of availability groups built over clustered SQL instances and provides the ability to schedule backup and CC jobs defined by time windows on individual protection groups. You can go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2958100 to download the update and get more details

Regards

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:11 PM
  • The KB article seems to just refer to an update rather then a fresh install. Can someone publish instructions on how to install this latest agent (v4.2.1226.0) onto a fresh Windows 2003 Server (x86)? When I try to install i386\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB 2958100.exe I get an error that says:

agentpatchsetup.exe is not a valid Win32 application

I also can't push the agent from the DPM server. I get the following errors:

Error 347: An error occurred when the agent operation attempted to create the DPM Agent Coordinator service on {dest server}
    Error details: %1 is not a valid Win32 application
    Recommended action: Verify that the Agent Coordinator service on {dest server} is responding, if it is present. Review the error details, take the appropriate action, and then retry the agent operation.

There doesn't seem to be an Agent Coordinator service, that's confusing me too.
    Help please.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Are you planning on adding support for Server 2008 too?
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Same Problem Here as Andy Chips reports, with the Server 2003 Setup

but i tried to run the setup manual -> theres a dpmagnetinstaller_win2k3_i386 in the directory of the agent setup.

This install runs successfull but after installing and attaching, it shows up with an error in the DPM Consol:

Error ID : 270 ... much bla bla

regards

Stefan

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:45 AM
  • Stefan,

I'm glad it's not just me.

Like you, I can run the installer (DPMAgentInstaller_Win2K3_i386.exe) and it completes successfully but it reports to be version 4.1.3441.0 which I believe is the 2012 SP1 version.

I can attach to it in DPM but it reports the agent needs updating. If I try to update it, it fails with messages about requiring VC++ 2010 Redist and .NET 4.0 - both of which I installed and made no difference.

Come on Microsoft, please advise.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:11 AM
  • command back,

edit: it seems like a reboot is definitely needed to get it working 

got it working like described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2958100/en-us

1. Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable on Windows Server 2003 servers if it is not already installed.

Note The following error occurs if the C++ redistributable is not installed:
            Data Protection Manager Setup

Could not load the setup launch screen. Please contact Microsoft Product Support.
          • Copy the Windows Server 2003 Agent installer that is located on in the DPM server to the Windows Server 2003 server, and then install the agent.
            • 64-bit: <var>DPM Installation Location</var>\DPM\agents\RA\4.2.1226.0\amd64\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_Win2K3_AMD64.exe
            • 32-bit: <var>DPM Installation Location</var>\DPM\agents\RA\4.2.1226.0\i386\1033\
              DPMAgentInstaller_Win2K3_i386.exe
          • Run the following command at an administrative command prompt:
            cd DPM Agent Installation Location\DPM\bin\setdpmserver.exe –dpmservername DPM Server Name
    2. Run the following Windows Powershell cmdlet to establish a connection with the DPM server:
      Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 DPMServerNameProductionServerNameUserNamePasswordDomain

regards

Stefan

Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Above solution worked after a reboot
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:34 PM
  • Guys, what is the version of the agent that gets installed after this procedure?
    Does DPM complain that it needs updating at all?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:46 PM
  • HI, Andy

i have two 2k3 Server. The first one was rebooted after the agent installation -> there was no issue with the above solution.

For the second one the DPM Console say's update need, as you mentioned. This one i didn't reboot, and i hope that if i reboote it in the evening the error will go away.
    tomorrow i can tell more.

regards

Stefan

Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:50 PM
  • I've just built a brand new W2K3 server and followed the instructions to the letter. The agent installs and the DPM server can see it but alerts you to update the agent, as it detects an old version.

If you try to update it you get the following error:

Protection agent version: 4.1.3313.0
    Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 295
    DPM could not remove the Protection Agent Coordinator service from {dest-server} or prerequisites are missing.

Recommended action:

1. Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall the DPM Agent Coordinator service on {dest-server}.
    2. Check if VCRedist 2010 is installed on {dest-server}, If it is not installed kindly install from the DPM install directory.
    3. Check if .Net 4.0 is installed on {dest-server}, If it is not installed kindly install from DPM install directory.

This is getting silly.

• Edited by AndyChips Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:26 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi Guys,

after rebooting the second 2k3 Server and hitting right mouse -> refresh a few times on the server (in the dpm gui),

the "needs upate" Warning disappeared.

will test a backup tomorrow,

regards

Stefan

• Edited by steven_85 Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:21 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:20 PM
  • HI,

a VSS Update was needed to get the 2k3 Server Working: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11896

I didn'T need to Reboot.

After that the Backup works fine.

regards

Stefan

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Attention Guy's,

they stopped distribution of Rollup 2  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2958100/en-us)

cause it has a tape backup Bug?

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:46 AM
  • Well that explains why my end-of-month tape backups have just started failing this morning. Good grief, who tests these patches?
    Friday, April 25, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Yes - we have pulled the update from the download center. Let me clarify the issue.  DPM provides the ability to import tapes written from other DPM servers. In case the tape is imported to a different DPM which did not generate the tape, it reads the metadata on the tape and catalogues it for recovery. This capability is referred to as re-cataloguing of the tape. The current issue affects DPM servers that have had re-catalogued tapes at any point in the past in their lifetime. When such a server is upgraded, the issue leads to a crash of the UI/management component of DPM server after installation of the update.  The UI crash happens almost instantly after you re-start the server after applying the update.  Although on going back-up jobs will continue to run, you have no ability to view, monitor or re-try jobs that could have failed.  A significant number of DPM servers have tape devices connected to them and so also re-catalogued tapes for recovery purposes - we felt the incidences of this issue would affect a large number of folks, hence the decision to remove the update till we have it fixed.  We will have an updated patch out there shortly and for those of you that see the UI crash (it will happen almost instantly after you re-start the server after applying the upgrade) please get in touch with Microsoft support and they have some steps to repair your update.

@AndyChips - your problem with tape back-ups failing is not related to this issue. Can you please share logs/details so we can investigate ?

Friday, April 25, 2014 9:32 AM
  • Hi Shreesh, thanks for the update. Upon reading it, I agree, my tape backup failure was probably not due to the update. This is the first time it has failed though.

It started backing up the protection groups and after about 41GB it requested a new tape. Bear in mind that this is an LTO-6 tape drive so it's nowhere near capacity. Although the tape had been used before with Backup Exec I erased it and marked it as free before the backup so I'm not sure what made it think the tape was full.

Upon reading the Rollup 2 withdrawl notification I immediately assumed it was the cause so I just cancelled all the scheduled monthly tape backup jobs.

I'm happy to send you logs if you think they're important. Just let me know which ones they are and where they live.

Meanwhile I shall attempt to perform another monthly tape backup - cos that's important!

Friday, April 25, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Thank you Shreesh for the explanation,

luckily my dpm Server is really new and i didn't import any Tapes, so i'M not affected :)

@ andy

i was also fighting with not fully filled LTO4 Tapes, i followed the Steps explained in the Link below,
    and also Inserting the Cleaning Tape a few times helped (my lto4 libary is arround 5 years old and had been cleaned only 2-3 Times cause it was only used a few times a month, and the Web Interface Stated "poor write quality" for the Tapes)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

Friday, April 25, 2014 10:22 AM
  • Stefan, thanks for the link but I'm embarrassed to say that my problem was down to misconfigured tape co-location. I'd forgotten to add a newly-created protection group. All looking good now.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 10:34 AM
  • Stefan/Andy - glad to here you are not affected by this issue

Regards

Friday, April 25, 2014 11:00 AM
  • Hello Shreesh ,

for people who needs the UR2 , despite the tape problem you mentioned , where can we still download it ?

If this is not available there's a way to get another fix to be able to backup Windows 2003 server before our customers would throw us and DPM out of the window ?

thanks

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Hello Shreesh

I've just upgraded to DPM 2012 R2 from DPM 2010 so I can backup data on a 2012 Server only to hit the same problem others have - in that I can't backup Server 2003! I'm now at a point where I might have to "downgrade" to DPM 2012 which is a pain. It would really help to know when UR2 is going to be available again. Tape backup is not a priority for me - well not today anyway.

Thanks

• Edited by tetownsend Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:22 PM
  • When will Microsoft re-release UR2? Or will Microsoft just skip it and release UR3?  If so when?  I am waiting for this update rollup so that I can move forward with upgrading to R2.

Thank you

renei

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Do we have a update to this here? Any idea when the fix will be released?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:49 AM
  • Hello folks, a quick update on the re-release of the UR2 KB.  We are scheduling this for the week of May 19th. Apologies for the delay and thanks for your patience...

Regards

Friday, May 9, 2014 2:42 AM
  • ... so in the mean time just hope that nothing happens to any of the data on those servers ... right? Would Microsoft have any recommendations for a backup solution that provides backup for mission critical servers? I find it interesting that we can't backup 2012 machines unless we "upgrade", and can't backup 2003 machines if we do "upgrade". Was any testing done before rolling out DPM? Do any of the other departments talk to each other and test out Microsoft software from other departments before rolling out new betas?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Thanks for the update.... Very good to know...

Regs Chris

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:24 AM
  • The update is now live at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2963543

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:39 AM
  • I've installed the update, and verified VC runtimes for 2008 and 2010 are installed as well as .NET 4.0.

The console continues to tell me that the agent installed on the 2003 box is not the correct version and needs an update, but the version on the 2003 box has been verified as correct.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:27 PM
  • I was working on getting three Windows 2003 servers on our DPM 2012 R2 server today and initially ran into the same problem you're facing.  I followed the instructions to the letter from the KB article and all it would do was show the server in the console as needing an agent update.  I fixed this by doing the following:

1. Removed the servers from the DPM console with the .\Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 script via the DPM management shell.

2. Uninstalled the DPM Agent from all three Windows 2003 servers, deleted the folder under program files and rebooted the servers.

3. Re-installed the DPM Agent (this time it did not prompt for a reboot after installation)

4. Ran setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername FQDN_Server_Name (originally I used the NetBIOS name)

5. Ran the .\Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 script via the DPM management shell, providing the parameters when prompted, again using FQDN_Server_Name for both the DPM server and the PS server.

After following that process, the servers showed up with an Agent Status of OK.

One other thing to note, if you do not have it installed already, you will probably need the VSS update for Windows 2003 published under this KB article: support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:30 PM
  • @RicochetEdge, did you refresh the DPM server as per step 3.e in the KB ?

e. On the DPM server, click Refresh two times on the agent that is connected to the management user interface. Then, validate that the Health Service state is initialized.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Thanks B.Hively. I tried the steps mentioned (twice), but I'm not having any luck with getting past the "Update Available" in the console. I made sure to use FQDN everywhere. After looking more closely at the version numbers...

Using ..\agents\RA\4.2.1235.0\i386\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_Win2K3_i386.exe: Reports as 4.1.3441.0 in the console, and in the properties of the installer package itself, it lists its version number as 4.1.3441.0.

All of my 2008 and 2012 boxes had agents deployed from the console, so I don't know which package was used. They are showing an agent version of 4.2.1235.0 in the console.

I'm not sure if this is related to my issues or a red herring. Which version is your console reporting for the 2003 agents?

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:47 PM
  • I did refresh many times, but did not see any change in the status.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Hello everyone,

The agent used to support Windows 2003 servers is NOT a DPM 2012 R2 UR2 version, it's basically the DPM 2012 Sp1 UR6 version 4.1.3441.0 that we made compatible with DPM 2012 R2.  As long as the agent version shows 4.1.3441.0 and a refresh shows OK, then it is working correctly and you can ignore the update available link.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Thanks for that information. The problem I'm having is that it is not showing "OK", but instead is showing "Needs updating".

Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:46 PM
  • You are making sure to attach the server using the PowerShell script and NOT via the console, right?

According to a blog post I read when the original Update Rollup 2 was released you MUST use the PowerShell script Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 to attach the server to the console and cannot use the GUI's "Install" function to attach the server.

Also, use of fully-qualified names for all servers seems to be necessary, both when you use the setdpmserver.exe on the Windows 2003 system and when you run the PowerShell script to attach the client to the DPM server.

If you have already attached the Windows 2003 system to the DPM server and the client status shows "Needs updating", you will need to make sure to A.) use the script Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 to detach the agent and B.) do a full uninstall of the agent from the Windows 2003 server, reboot and start over by installing the agent again.

I tried just detaching the client, re-running the setdpmserver.exe and then re-attaching to the DPM server but it just would not work until I did the whole uninstall, reboot, reinstall routine on the Windows 2003 system.

I can confirm the system works with a Windows 2003 server.  Once I got the agent to show up as "OK" in the console I was able to add it to a protection group and back up the files on the server.  It was just a frustrating experience getting the Agent to be recognized as OK by the DPM server.

I expected a bit better support, the current 2012 R2 agent seems to be based around .NET 4.0 and Visual C++ 2010, both of which are available on Windows 2003.   You wouldn't think it would take a great feat of engineering to make the current client work on Windows 2003.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Yes. As per the original instructions you posted from your results. I'm glad it is working for you, but it isn't here. I'll try it on a few other 2003 boxes and see if I get different results.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:57 PM
  • I've tried it on a second machine and still no luck. Another to mention, when I go to restart after installing the protection agent (on both servers so far), the system tries to force-stop a program that is running named "Extracting Files". Seems related to the installation package; not sure if it indicative of any problem.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Hi RicochetEdge,

Can you make available the following log files  ?

On the Windows 2003 server

Under c:\windows\temp

MSDPMAgentBootstrap0Curr.errlog
    MSDPMAgentInstall.LOG
    MSDPMAgentPatchInstall.LOG

Under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp

All DPMRA*.ERRLOG

On the DPM SERVER:

Under C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\Temp
    Or if an upgrade from DPM2012 Sp1: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Temp

Logs dated today for DPMRA*.Errlog and MSDPM*.ERRLOG

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:35 PM
  • Following B.Hively's fix above, I successfully installed and attached several Win2003 servers.  I noticed that when DPM complains for update, the agent version is lower than 4.1.3441.0 (cannot remember what exactly is). After the fix, the ver shows 4.1.3441.0 and status is 'OK' in the DPM console.

In addition, skipping "uninstall" step (Step 2) and just running installation again also works for me.

Friday, May 23, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Is anyone else having problems with secondary DPM servers and new replica groups in regards to the new rollup?  New rollup is installed on both primary and secondary server, and when trying to protect replica groups (with a new protection group) on the secondary server, I get the following error:

DPM is unable to enumerate contents in \\?\Volume{9db0a6be-327e-11df-a4f3-806e6f6e6963}\ on the protected computer domain.domain.local...

This is followed by large list of the things not available to be protected, such as <server name>_Shared Data, etc.

After closing that error, there are only two protected servers available out of 15 servers actually protected by the available member which is the primary DPM server listed in the dropdown menu.

It seems like Rollup 2 has introduced this problem, as it wasn't an issue before.  This effectively means that we no longer have a secondary DPM servers saving our replicas.  Does anyone know of a workaround?

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Any news on support for Windows 2008? We have hundreds of Windows 2008 servers, hundreds of Windows 2003 server, and also a lot of Linux servers. Currently there is no version of DPM that can back up all these.

Surely if 2003 can be backed up with 2012R2 then it must be possible to back up 2008 as well....

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

The new DPM 2012 R2 UR2 adds support for both Windows 2003 and Windows 2008.

KB2963543-Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager

DPM 2012 R2 now supports backup and recovery of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 servers. After you install Update Rollup 2, you will be able to protect Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 by using DPM 2012 R2. The following workloads are supported in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003:

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:06 PM
  • I've collected the logs, but some of them are a little longer than is probably appropriate to post here, and due to HIPPA compliance I'm not comfortable posting them here.

My email is asmallwood at mhc dash tn dot org if you could let me know how to get them to you.

Thanks for you assistance with this.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:17 PM
  • After half a day trying to get this agent to install I am still not able to get it to install on a clean freshly built Windows 2003 R2 SP2, 32bit server.

Followed the instructions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2963543/en-us and added the missing step to install KB940349-v3 but still no luck.

When clicking on the installer, which as per instructions was copied locally, the error is DPMAgentInstaller failed with errorcode =0x80070643, error says: Fatal error during installation.

It says to look in MSDPMAgentInstall.LOG to determine the error but nothing useful in that log that I can see.

Anyone else seeing this?

I saw someone suggest to install VCredist 2010 but that didn't help.

Add/Remove programs  doesn't show any DPM agent and there is no DPM agent dir under C:\Program Files

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

Several causes have been found for that error - it's very generic.

-Pending reboots from other installs prevented DPMagent install from completing.

One way to check for pending reboots is to check the following registry keys. If they are not present you probably do not have any pending reboots.

• HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress
    • HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
      Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

- Firewall Rules missing - Check the following:

2798891 DPM: Agent install fails with error 0x80070643
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2798891/EN-US

- Download process monitor from www.sysinternals.com and run it during the install and see if you can locate an error reading or writing to registry or file system.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:03 AM
  • Okay. Thanks to some blood, sweat, and tears (and assistance from Mr. Jacquet) I have my 2003 boxes backing up correctly.

The first issue is the incorrect agent version error message, I had to ignore this and try to back up the machines anyway and it worked on about half of them.

The second issue was that the installer was failing after installing the main program, but before running the update. After rebooting, manually running the agentpatchsetup.exe (and rebooting again), this issue is resolved.

Friday, May 30, 2014 1:09 PM
  • This new version simply does not install on a 2003 server with the current instructions.  After 2 days trying to get it to install on my fresh 2003 server I gave up and built a brand new fresh 2003 server.  Again it simply will not install on a freshly built 2003 R2 32bit server.

Steps taken:

Create a VM on a Hyper-V 2012 host with 2 vCPU, 4GB RAM and 20GB disk.

Install 2003 R2 SP2 32bit Standard from the CDs with SP2 included in them:

SW_CD_Windows_Svr_Std_2003_R2_32-BIT_X64_English_ISO_32bit_1_MLF_X13-73742.ISO
    SW_CD_Windows_Svr_Std_2003_R2_32-BIT_X64_English_ISO_32bit_2_MLF_X13-73746.ISO

Install Hyper-V integration tools.

Assign IP, join domain and reboot.

Install  Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582

Copy <var style="color:#333333;font-family:'Segoe UI', Arial, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:normal;">DPM_Installation_Location</var>\DPM\agents\RA\4.2.1235.0\i386\1033\
    DPMAgentInstaller_Win2K3_i386.exe to c:\software locally and double click on the exe.  This fails with 

DPMAgentInstaller failed with errorcode =0x80070643, error says: Fatal error during installation.

Reboot and try again, still fails with same error.

Also tried installing WindowsServer2003-KB940349-v3-x86-ENU.exe and rebooting but the result is the same.

Anyone else managed to get this to install on a 2003 server?  Anyone got any ideas on what is missing from the instructions MS provided?

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:36 PM
  • I was able to get the 2003 agent installed last week.  The steps went something like:

- Moved the latest agent over the network to target server.

- Ran install of agent, which upgraded agent on the target server.

- Ran "setDPMserver" command from command prompt pointing to primary DPM server.

- On the DPM server, clicked on "Install Agent" and then used "attach agent" prompt to attach to the existing agent

And when refreshing the agent in the console, I got a status of OK, and was able to create a new protection group for it with no issues.

• Edited by TS Evans Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:15 PM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:14 PM
  • So I found the problem!

MS does not document this, and the error messages are total crap, but there is a pre-requisite that .NET 3.5 SP1 MUST be installed on a 2003 R2 server before DPM agnet (2012 SP1 or 2012 R2) will install.

Download and install .NET 3.5 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=25150

Install agent using instructions provided by MS.

Can someone from MS add this to the instructions please!

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Hi SkyLarknz1,

Thanks for reporting this, I was actually working on reproducing the problem and troubleshooting it but you beat me to it - thanks.  I'll confirm your findings and get the article updated to reflect the additional pre-requisite.

UPDATE: The article has been updated to include that prerequisite.  I also wrote a Blog on the subject:

Details on protecting Windows Server 2003 computers using Data Protection Manager 2012 R2

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Spot on. Me too and I am an IT director. It is appalling the way Microsoft are treating their on-premise customers. Talk about losing the plot!

prd

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:30 PM