none
PWA won't open Project Professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a client with the following problem. They have a Project Server 2010 environment and they are in the process of going from Windows XP to Windows 7. Before they go over to Windows 7 they tested Project Professional 2010 and the connection to Project Server 2010. On Windows XP everything works fine but now on the test machine with Windows 7 and Project Professional 2010 all functionality works except opening a Project from the PWA in Project Professional. When you click on edit Project in Project Professional PWA just does nothing.

When you got to Project Professional 2010 itself you can connect and open/edit and publish projects.

I have looked at the logs and event viewer logs of all the machines but nothing comes up.

Does anyone have a idea why PWA refuses to open Project Professional?

With Kind Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Robin,

I would compare the IE settings on both the XP and Win 7 machines. Do all Win 7 machines have the same issue? Does the URL that you are using in IE for PWA match the URL in the account for Project Pro?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I didn't do the comparison so will tell the client to do so. But from my point of view that doesn't explain why Project Professional just won't open when you go into PWA and click on edit project in Project Professional. I just does nothing. No errors aswell. If I had a error i would know were to look. The URL is the same i check and was able to connect to Project Server and open and edit projects just not the other way around.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Hi Robin,

please check setting "Protected Mode" on Security tab of IE Settings. When it is enabled, I get exactly the behaviour you are describing  just an idea?

Barbara

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Ill let them try Ill update this on monday when I have contact with the client again.

Thx for the suggestions.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Ill let them try Ill update this on monday when I have contact with the client again.

Thx for the suggestions.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering whether you ever got the bottom of this?

One of the project team in my office suddenly got this on Friday and we have no idea why. PWA recognises that ProjPro is on the machine as the option isn't greyed out, yet whenever it's pressed nothing happens. There is no WINPROJ.exe in task manager opening either.

Tried reinstalling nothing.

Nothing in IE showing as it could be blocking either (protected mode is off).

It also worked before last week, not sure whats changed!

I can however open the stuff from Project Professional - but this isn't ideal!

• Edited by Lokolo Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:08 PM