none
Unable to log into Win-10: Computer Locked: Computer P/W does not match MS My Account password. RRS feed

• Question

• we changed our password on the Microsoft website for My Account.  The change did not update my computer's login password for my User Account (Administrator).  

MS Tech Support tells me both passwords, the "My Account" password and my "User Account" password, need to match.  The MS website will not allow me to go back and use the computer User Account password again, telling me a new password must be used in My Account, online.  My computer is completly locked up.  Running Windows 10.  I have an internet connection on the locked computer and can get to Safe Mode, but little else.  a little help, anyone?

Monday, February 8, 2016 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you still fail to login, try this:

Boot into your computer with another administrator account:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Advanced system settings \Under User profiles, click settings

Highlight the one corresponding to your Microsoft account, choose delete. Please backup the files under c:\users\your account.

Then try to login again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 11:44 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Do you still know the previous password for the MS account, have you tried that?

Do you mean the computer is at the locked screen? (rather than the login screen?) If so do a restarted of the machine, make sure if it connected to the internet on restart and try again.

• Marked as answer by Buzzee Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:53 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Buzzee Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:53 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2016 1:45 PM
  •  
    Do you have 2 step authentication enabled?

I suspect what is happening is you are still using the overall account password and not the app generated password.  You will still get mail until you log the device out (which is a good idea anyway) and then you will need to generate a password (on the pc in outlook.com) and "trust" the mobile device. After which it should not do that.

You should log on and go here https://account.live.com/securityprivacy/overview to do that.

You can also install the outlook app so anytime you need a "passcode" you can approve it directly on the mobile device.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, February 8, 2016 2:39 PM
  • The login screen isn't accepting the password, which has been reset several times on the MS My Account.  My other computers are able to log onto the MS Account with no problems.  The old password is not accepted in the MS account, because a new password is required every time the password is reset.    

If my memory is true, it seems like I have heard that too many failed attempts to log into an account, or a computer will shut it down for 24-hours, or so.  Not certain if this is correct, or not.  We will try to log in again, tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply and thoughts, Mr. Happy.  

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

If you still fail to login, try this:

Boot into your computer with another administrator account:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Advanced system settings \Under User profiles, click settings

Highlight the one corresponding to your Microsoft account, choose delete. Please backup the files under c:\users\your account.

Then try to login again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 11:44 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:39 AM
    Owner
  • Yeah... that's why I'm here,,,, but bastards stillllll exist... nothing do in that.... (good, I have another decices.... hope, you , too) smile.... MS cretins
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 4:31 AM