IE 8 is not compatible with current VPN, with no way to return to IE 7. RRS feed

• Question

• Work in County Government in Texas, and we use a VPN connection to access the network outside the office.  We widely use XP Professional and IE 7 with the VPN, and I am testing this connection with the VPN, without success.  We have not moved to IE 8 because of this and other issues still on XP.  I tried to go back to IE 7, but "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel doesn't present IE 8, and while I am the administrator with the rights, I am not authorized to remove IE 8 and sub files, what gives?  Why does Windows 7 come with IE 8 without the option to downgrade to the tried and true IE 7?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Because IE8 is build-in program in Windows 7 RC, not upgraded. like in Windows Vista we cannot downgrade the IE to IE6.

Since the VPN program is not compatible with IE8, could you try to manually create a VPN connection and then connect with it?

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:03 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Because IE8 is build-in program in Windows 7 RC, not upgraded. like in Windows Vista we cannot downgrade the IE to IE6.

Since the VPN program is not compatible with IE8, could you try to manually create a VPN connection and then connect with it?

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:03 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:34 AM
  • The VPN and certificates are provided to me from another department and they will not make any changes to the VPN to accomodate Windows 7 untill it is released.  I am limited on my skills and, knowledge of the VPN setup and have no idea where to begin a manual install.  I followed the install instructions provided for XP and, it works if I'm plugged into a cable connection inside the network but, if connect outside the network thru a wireless connection, no luck.  Another programmer in our organization running XP installed the IE 8 update and the VPN quit working.  When he removed the update and returned to IE 7 the VPN began working again.  I was hoping there was a way to downgrade the IE and see if it made a difference.  My Vista addition came with IE 7.  Vista had other bigger issues with our VPN and other tools that prevented using Vista.  We're hoping we'll be able to upgrade to Windows 7 but, this does not look promising.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:59 AM