none
Crashing (not responding) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Whenever I set a task calendar and then check the "Scheduling ignores resource calendars" button, project will go into not responding and stay there till I shut it down thru task manager. Sometimes it will work but pushes my start dates back to 1949. I'm fairly new at project. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 2:35 PM

All replies

• What version of project are you using and have all the patches been applied.  It sounds like an old 2007 and 2010 issue.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 2:55 PM
  • Professional 2016
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:07 PM
  • Michael Wharton can you help me? 
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:10 PM
  • I'm using Professional 2016 in a machine shop atmosphere. I have one project and a resource pool with several calendars "4 day 1 shift, 4 day 2 shift, etc. In the pool I have my resources set as machines. Those machines have either a base calendar of 4 days 1 shift or 4 days 2 shifts depending if there are 1 or 2 shifts running. In my project a 4 day work week isn't completing that task on the due date. When I assign a task calendar of 6d1s or 6d2s to meet the due date and click the  "scheduling ignores resource calender's" check box. MP goes into leveling and stays there until its not responsive or if it does level it changes the task's start date to either 1949 or way out into the future. 

I'm not sure if I am using the resource pool correctly or there is a problem with MP.

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I have been fighting this for several months now.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:59 PM
  • dharrison1398 --

Is your copy of Microsoft Project 2016 fully updated with the latest software updates from Microsoft?  To determine this, click File > Account and then please let us know what you see in the About Project section of the page.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 3, 2018 4:27 PM
  • Version 1804 (Build 9226.2114 Click to run)

Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:12 PM
  • dharrison1398 --

OK, it appears your software is current with the latest updates from Microsoft.  In fact, I have the same version as you on my personal laptop.  However, I cannot duplicate the problem you are reporting.  I can select the Scheduling Ignores Resource Calendars checkbox and my software DOES NOT crash.  I would suggest that you try a Repair operation on your copy of Microsoft Project 2016 using the Control Panel to see if that resolves the problem.

Out of curiosity, if you are a beginner with the software, why are you setting Task Calendars at all?  Please let us know and perhaps we can advise you on better ways to use the tool.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:46 PM
  • The reason for setting a task calendar is when the resources base calendar in the pool doesn't meet the due date of a task I set a task calendar. If I change the resources calendar in the pool then it will effect all task that are assigned to that resource. Which I don't want to happen.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:56 PM
  • I've reset MSP to its default setting and now the task calendar is working. This is great but now leads to another question. MSP is showing that my resource with a 4 day 2 shift calendar in the resource pool is over allocated when I set a task calendar of 6 days 2 shift. Why is MSP doing that? 
    Friday, May 4, 2018 5:27 PM