MS Visio & Project - Setting Up Licencing RRS feed

• Question

• Guys, Ive got 10 licences for MS Visio 2007 and MS Project 2007. I have sequenced up both applications and both are deploying to my workstations fine. Is it possible to link my 10 licences to each application , and if the application is launched more than 10 times , it tells the user that all licences are currently in use ? Can I use licences like this ??
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Sure, see this reference;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843724.aspx

It requires the use of the management server, if something else is used to deploy the applications you will have to see what possibilites you have within their own system.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:06 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Thanks Znack

Im aware of the licence modes , but when I create my groups and link them to my virutal applications , whe I launch the application nothing seems to happen !
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Hello,

Well, if you are one user - I would say it would show the same behaviour as if you wouldn't have licensing configured as if you restrict to 10 concurrent users?

/Znack
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Have you actually enforced licensing?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:09 AM
  • Hello,

I believe the setting you are talking about Danny_C_UK is here;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843792.aspx

Not sure if this plays in aswell;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843646.aspx

If he hasn't done that, I assume that he didn't read any documentation :P

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:25 AM
  • Hi Znack,

Yeah, that's the one!  I've just been to plenty of places where a license group has been carefully created and linked to applications etc, but not actually enabled (and where it has been enabled, the 'unlimited' applications haven't had a license assigned to them)..

Cheers,
    Danny
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Thats it - I just need to enable the licence policy.
    Is there away to get more user friendly error message for staff ? I dont want those actual error codes appearing when the application is launched outside of its licence range ?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Thats it - I just need to enable the licence policy.
    Is there away to get more user friendly error message for staff ? I dont want those actual error codes appearing when the application is launched outside of its licence range ?

Unfortunately not. App-V Client receives exactly same error from the server if licenses are used up or if user doesn't have rights to package for some other reason, so the client does not have any way to distinguish those two and present more appropriate error message.

You should be aware that licensing enforcement in App-V is, well, little bit lacking in execution. For instance, with the concurrent licensing enforcing you should be aware that you cannot handle offline clients in any reasonable manner (e.g. laptops outside the company network). I have not tested it, but I'm pretty certain that if user has had license before while on the network, he/she can then launch application when client is not able to contact server for authorization (cached mode) so with offline clients usage count can exceed your limit. With named license this is not a problem since only those users ever get applications up and running who are authorized by the user account.

Another thing to note for, since you were talking about Microsoft Visio and Project here, is that Microsoft does not have concept of 10 concurrent users in their licensing terms. By my understanding, Microsoft Office products are licensed per machine, meaning that every single machine your App-V enabled Office product happens to touch even with one bit you have to have license for so you cannot legally float your 10 licenses. This is probably true for many other software vendors still, after all these years of application virtualization..

br,
    Kalle

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:43 PM
  • As far as UI know, what you are trying to do is now allowed by PUR/Licensing.
    Visio and Project are licensed per computer and not by concurrent accesses.
    So, you will need a license for each computer that runs Visio, and you are not able to do a short time assignment of licenses to a new computer.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:19 PM