OLE Exception 80020009 in ProClarity Adminitration RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded a PAS installation to 6.3 with Hotfix 2215.  It is running on Windows Server 2003 R2.

It has been working fine until today when I am intermittently getting "OLE Exeception 80020009" in the Administration Tool window. 

The PAS database resides on a seperate server as does the SSAS database (on a third server).

The problem appears to be connecting to the PAS database.  Can you give me some tips on what to look for that might cause this error?

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:02 PM

All replies

• Chris,

Intermittent connection errors to SQL are generally caused by network connectivity problems or SQL Server availability problems.  I would make sure that you had network and server resources (processor, memory, disk space, NIC) available.  Also check and see if there are any big jobs happening on the SQL box today.  There are probably associated errors in the Event Viewer under ProClarity for the OLE exceptions that will say something to the effect of having a SQL connection problem. 

-Joey

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Joey,

Thanks for your response.

I was just informed that SQL Server Cumulative Update 9 was just installed on the SQL box on Sunday.

Could that be causing the problem?  Should I install ProClarity hotfix 2216?  Will that have any effect?

Chris

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:32 PM
  • There aren't any known issues with that update, but of course it's always possible.  The 2216 update didn't address anything of this nature, so it's unlikely that it will resolve the issue.  However, it's always a good idea to be on the latest update if possible to be sure you don't see a known issue.  We do of course very much recommend testing any updates in a dev or UAT environment before rolling them to production.

What makes you think the issue is a database connectivit problem?  Do you see anything in the event logs on either the web or database servers?  Is the ProClarity Standard client behaving correctly?  That is, does the issue appear to be only with the Admin Tool?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:10 PM
  • We believe we have correlated the problem to high memory/cpu usage on the SQL Server instance where the PAS database is stored.  Our DBAs are suggesting that the memory utilization might be tied to this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918483

They are making changes today to throttle the memory/cpu utilization on the SQL Server instance and we'll see if that improves the situation.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:26 PM