none
OneDrive for Business RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently working with a client on a full migration to Office 365. We are going to move their personal documents into OneDrive for Business in SharePoint online. However, the client is concerned about moving their Network Shared Drives as well. Is there a way to create a separate location for Shared Drives that will leverage OneDrive for Business Storage. I know OneDrive for business is designed for personal use and will map to mySite however this is a true business need and I wanted to get some insight to better advice my client.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:38 PM

Answers

• OD4B is meant for personal files only. And in fact, all of those items you have a concern with would be of greater concern on an OD4B site, which cannot be customized.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:03 PM

All replies

• OD4B sites are not meant for shared storage. That is what Team sites are for.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Trevor

Thanks for the quick reply. However, creating a team site for every shared drive within a large organization represents taxonomy, governance issues among other concerns that the client doesn't want to deal with. What they do want though is to be able to move all that storage out of those drives. Does your suggestion mean OD4B cannot handle such a need?

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:01 PM
  • OD4B is meant for personal files only. And in fact, all of those items you have a concern with would be of greater concern on an OD4B site, which cannot be customized.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:03 PM