none
Visual Reports - Assignment Usage - Cannot add custom fields for grouping RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MSPROJECT 2007.  My project contains custom fields related to tasks and custom fields related to resources that I use for sorting and grouping.  I would like to have these custom fields in the pivot table associated with the assignment usage type visual report but they are grayed out in the field picker. I have tried the three approaches below to solve my problem to no avail:

1. In the custom  "assignment Usage" visual report I wish to use the field picker to select custom fields but all are grayed out.  I wish to find a way to get the custom fields in this report. 

2. In the custom "Resource usage" Visual report, I can add the custom fields, but the pivot table does not let me access or see the tasks to which a resource is assigned.  I need to see the tasks associated with the resource.

3.   In the custom "Task Usage" Visual report, I can add the custom fields, but the pivot table does not let me access the resources assigned to a task.  I need to be able to see the resources associated with the tasks.

Any of the three options above will get me where I want to be, but each has a limiting factor to it.  Is what I want possible?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:18 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay in replying.  I'm afraid with Project 2007, you are destined for disappointment trying to do this with the existing Visual Reports.  You are correct - only the assignment usage cube contains the data you want to see - and in 2007, there are no custom Text fields for task or resource data available.  This is changed in Project 2010 and later.

The only option I can suggest would be to export the data from Project to Excel using VBA.  If you have skills in code, I suggest posting to the forum for Customization and Programming to get you pointed in the right direction.  Of course, the other option would be to hire someone to develop the solution for you.  Posting in the Customization forum may catch the eye of someone who would work with you for a fee to develop what you need.  The customization forum is:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads

• Marked as answer by ctslaton Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:48 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hello ctslation,

Tasks, resources, and assignment custom fields do contain the same data even if you place the data in the same named field.  See FAQ 51 "Data types: Task, resource, and assignment" at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Custom fields are not available in the "pivot" portion of the view as custom fields are not timescaled.  However, if you have selected the field in the cube build, you should be able to add the custom field as a property of the task or resource .  Build the pivot table, right click on the task or resource and from the shortcut menu select "Show properties in report" to add the custom field.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:29 PM
  • Thanks Julie, appears I am still missing something.

I agree/understand that the tasks, resources, and assignment custom fields contain the same data if you can see the field, however my problem is that not all fields are available for getting into the individual cube builds.  

You mentioned "if I have selected the field in the cube build", but when I choose the assignment usage as the basis for the cube build, the custom  fields are not available to select in the field picker.  Am I interpreting you comment correctly?  Is there a way to make the custom fields show up?

Am I correct the cube builds I select have different options for what fields are available, and what data is available to export to the cube?  My understanding is that if I have a cube build based on task usage, the information for resource assignments is not included?  Vice versa for a resource usage build not having the ability to see the actual task assignments.  Am I correct that the only cube build that has both resource and task assignments is the "assignment usage" cube which does not allow me to pick any of the custom fields?

Thank you for your patience.

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:49 AM
  • You are correct.  In Project 2007, the Assignment cube shows no custom fields other than Task Baseline and Resource Baseline fields.  When I talked about about fields available in the cube, I was referring to Resource fields in the Resource Usage cube and Task fields available in the Task Usage cube.

The Task Usage cube contains task and assignment data - the custom fields available in the cube are only task custom fields.  The Resource Usage cube has resources and assignment data - the custom fields available are resource custom fields. 

So, if you entered data into the Resources Text1 field - that data is only available in the Resource cube - not the task cube nor the assignment cube.

See also FAQ 37 "Extra Fields in Views" at: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

It contains a macros to copy the data from Task custom fields to assignment to resource fields.

Perhaps I can be of more use if you tell what fields or reports you are trying to create.

Friday, April 12, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Thanks Julie.  The following describes what I would like to see within the visual report.  

1. On the right hand side (Row description fields) I would like to see Task names that could then be expanded to show the resources for each task. 

2.   ON the left had side( Data fields), I would like to see the hours assigned to each resource for each task.

The above is done wonderfully by the existing "Usage Assignment" cubes and visual reports.

What I am missing within this pivot table report  is the ability to group and summarize by the custom fields associated with tasks so that I can group by fields such as task location (denver, seattle, etc.) or whether the task is a specific type of work such as civil, electrical, etc., or whether the work is contracted, pending, or proposed.  

With the pivot table, I could also quickly do the same sort of analyses from a resource perspective instead of a task perspective, with the similar groupings/summaries by the custom resource fields that would apply to our business.

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Note that for the response above, for item 2 data, the hours are time phased so I can see when we might be having problems.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in replying.  I'm afraid with Project 2007, you are destined for disappointment trying to do this with the existing Visual Reports.  You are correct - only the assignment usage cube contains the data you want to see - and in 2007, there are no custom Text fields for task or resource data available.  This is changed in Project 2010 and later.

The only option I can suggest would be to export the data from Project to Excel using VBA.  If you have skills in code, I suggest posting to the forum for Customization and Programming to get you pointed in the right direction.  Of course, the other option would be to hire someone to develop the solution for you.  Posting in the Customization forum may catch the eye of someone who would work with you for a fee to develop what you need.  The customization forum is:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads

• Marked as answer by ctslaton Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:48 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Thanks Julie.  Just nice to confirm I was not doing something wrong!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:48 PM
  • No - nothing wrong with you :-)

- just a limitation in the 2007 release.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:36 PM