none
Configure a task so levelling require all resouces working together RRS feed

• Question

• I have two tasks and I would like MS Project to handle one a bit differently from the other.  One is "Address punch-list items" and the second is "Move signals from old RTU to new".  In the first case, any of the three assigned resources is capable of addressing the punch-list items (common skillsets).  When I level the project, the software correctly assigns resources as they are availble, sometimes only one, sometimes two, and sometimes all three when they are available.  The second task also has three resources, but the nature of the task requires all three resources to work together (three distinct skillsets).  How do I keep the first task as it is and configure the second task so the work is not scheduled unless all required resources are available together?

I'm guessing I am not the first to ask this question but have not been able to find an answer here or from external resources.

Thanks

Monday, December 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi SnoopyToo--

What you could do would be to insert the "level assignment" column and set the value (yes by default) to no for the task in question. Doing this, the task might be rescheduled by the leveling but the assignments will be kept.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, December 8, 2014 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi SnoopyToo--

What you could do would be to insert the "level assignment" column and set the value (yes by default) to no for the task in question. Doing this, the task might be rescheduled by the leveling but the assignments will be kept.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, December 8, 2014 4:14 PM
  • SnoopyToo --

You first need to staff the two tasks with the resources needed to perform the work on each task, which it sounds like results in resource overallocations on these two tasks.  Before you level the overallocations on the first task, do the following:

1. Click the Resource tab to display the Resource ribbon.
    2. In the Level section of the Resource ribbon, click the Leveling Options button.
    3. In the Resource Leveling dialog, select the Leveling Can Adjust Individual Assignments on a Task checkbox, and then click the OK button.
    4. In the Gantt Chart view, right-click on the first task with overallocated resources assigned and then select the Schedule to Available Date item on the shortcut menu.

With the leveling option set in step #3 above, Microsoft Project levels each overallocated resource when they are available. Before you level the overallocated resources on the second task, complete the following steps:

1. In the Level section of the Resource ribbon, click the Leveling Options button again.
    2. In the Resource Leveling dialog, DESELECT the Leveling Can Adjust Individual Assignments on a Task checkbox, and then click the OK button.
    3. In the Gantt Chart view, right-click on the second task with overallocated resources assigned and then select the Schedule to Available Date item on the shortcut menu.

With the leveling option set in step #3 in the second set of steps, Microsoft Project keeps all three resources together when you level their overallocations. This means that if only one of the resources is overallocated, Microsoft Project delays the assignments for all three of the resources so that it keeps the resources together.

Hope this extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 8, 2014 6:13 PM