Missing boot events on the Diagnostic performance operational log (event-id 100) RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that event (100) is not always reported or not reported at all on several machines and I would like to understand how can I force reporting it.
    In addition I would appreciate if you can explain regarding the keys under:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot]

Things I've already tested on win7:
    1. Verified that the diagnostic performance > operational log is enabled
    2. Services: ‘Diagnostic Policy Service’ (auto) and ‘Diagnostic service host’ (manual) were running
    3. Verified that GPO is not disabled for:
    - Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting
    - Diagnostics\Windows Boot Performance Diagnostics Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Diagnostics: Configuration scenario executing level

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• For keys under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot]

Please take a look of discussions in this link(reply posted by David J)

Diagnostics-Performance log Event 100 - Critical, Error, or Warning - when and why?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/48005f5d-5f66-439a-af51-3a2ebb894e31/diagnosticsperformance-log-event-100-critical-error-or-warning-when-and-why?forum=w7itproperf

My understanding to this issue—event (100) is not always reported or not reported at all on several machines” is that : this kind event log occurs when an time parameter during the boot process reaches a threshold in the registry key, then a warning, critical or error message will appear in the event viewer. If it doesn’t reach the threshold, then there will be no report.

Regards

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:49 AM
  • Thank you very much for your detailed answer

Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:06 AM
  • I tried lowering the value of the following registry key to 1 decimal and it helped significantly, but occasionally there was still no Event ID 100 logged.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot\BootMinorThreshold_Sec

It turned out that this is a known bug that Microsoft has a Hotfix for ALL of the Windows 7 distributions for both 32-bit and 64-bit OSs:

Title: No event ID 100 is logged in the Diagnostics-Performance log when you start Windows 7 SP1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2966921/no-event-id-100-is-logged-in-the-diagnostics-performance-log-when-you

Applies To:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm surprised that after 2 years and 3 months since this Hotfix was released that it still hasn't been put into a Windows Update.  Instead you have to request and then manually install the correct 32-bit or 64-bit Hotfix on each and every system that you want this Event ID to be logged on.

• Proposed as answer by tech_dude88 Monday, September 4, 2017 6:11 PM
    • Edited by tech_dude88 Monday, September 4, 2017 6:58 PM
    Monday, September 4, 2017 6:11 PM