Unable to connect to Hyper-V server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V Manager on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed the stand alone Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. I can ping it. I can RDP into it. However, I cannot connect to it with Hyper-V Manager. I get this error...

I've tried adding it to the TrustedHosts, I can ping and RDP so I don't think it is a firewall issue. Ran the powershell script to enable, config, and start the winrm process on both the server and the desktop.

What can I try next?

Thanks

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Friday, July 29, 2016 6:49 PM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 5:50 PM

Answers

• Well hmm. I have done Windows 10 in a workgroup to Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V Core server standalone (currently my Hyper-V server 2016 TP5) so this does work and you are trying all the correct things it appears.

So for me,

On the client;

Edit my HOSTS file so I can resolve the Hyper-V server by name.

run 'winrm quickconfig'

added the Hyper-V host by name to Trusted hosts.

On the server;

Run winrm quickconfig

Add a user with administrator rights same name and password as I log into the client with.

That from memory gets me connected. What smjain mentioned I believe is related to connecting to the guests once Hyper-V Management is open (I have not needed that for newer client \ server did need it Win 8.1 to server 2012)

Introducing some errors into my setup, if I turn off the firewall rule on the server, or misconfigure the hosts file on the client it is a different error. It displays a clear network error. If I change my winrm trusted hosts I get the same error.

So your screenshot shows connecting by name so I have not mentioned that, but you need to connect by name. So not sure it that helps but basically saying just double check everything... I can post any of my configs if needed but all just quickconfig then one trustedhosts addition afaik.

Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:38 PM

All replies

• What username are you using? As far as I understand it does not work with alternative username. So you need the same username and password on the Windows 10 machine and the same account username password on the Hyper-V server with the correct rights.

Friday, July 29, 2016 7:21 PM
  • I created an account on the server that uses the same username and password as my Win 10 box. There is an option to change or use other credentials, but that didn't work either. Told me the account didn't exist. However, I am RDP'd into the server with that username and password.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 8:06 PM
  • Check this out:

http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2009/06/hyper-v-error-access-denied-unable-to.html

it's helped others with similar issues as you

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:32 PM
  • I created an account on the server that uses the same username and password as my Win 10 box. There is an option to change or use other credentials, but that didn't work either. Told me the account didn't exist. However, I am RDP'd into the server with that username and password.

Can you disable the firewall on both machines as a test and try? I use winrm quickconfig to configure and that does mention enabling firewall rules so be worth double checking that.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 9:02 PM
  • I did stop the firewalls on both and I ran the PS script to add the entries to the firewall. No change though. Gonna have a look at what smjain posted. Thanks
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 12:49 AM
  • I tried this also with no change. Thanks though.
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:00 AM
  • Well hmm. I have done Windows 10 in a workgroup to Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V Core server standalone (currently my Hyper-V server 2016 TP5) so this does work and you are trying all the correct things it appears.

So for me,

On the client;

Edit my HOSTS file so I can resolve the Hyper-V server by name.

run 'winrm quickconfig'

added the Hyper-V host by name to Trusted hosts.

On the server;

Run winrm quickconfig

Add a user with administrator rights same name and password as I log into the client with.

That from memory gets me connected. What smjain mentioned I believe is related to connecting to the guests once Hyper-V Management is open (I have not needed that for newer client \ server did need it Win 8.1 to server 2012)

Introducing some errors into my setup, if I turn off the firewall rule on the server, or misconfigure the hosts file on the client it is a different error. It displays a clear network error. If I change my winrm trusted hosts I get the same error.

So your screenshot shows connecting by name so I have not mentioned that, but you need to connect by name. So not sure it that helps but basically saying just double check everything... I can post any of my configs if needed but all just quickconfig then one trustedhosts addition afaik.

Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:38 PM