Outlook 2007 - Additional mailbox rules and alerts RRS feed

• Question

•  

I work in an environment where i have multiple mailboxes attached to my outlook profile (3+ additional boxes). These boxes range from general IT help email, external sales, etc, and I have to be able to monitor all of these boxes.

Now, the problem is this. The frequency of use for my personal mail is extremely infrequent, I normally use my IT help email, probably... 85% of the time. However, when i set up a rule to alert me via desktop alert and/or specified sound, the rule does not seem to work. It saves fine, and the syntaxes all seem to be correct, but it doesn't seem to pick up any new mail. I can also run the rules manually and it works like a charm. Is there a way to set up rules that will automatically run as they would for my native mailbox? It is very hard and frustrating to work with multiple mailboxes without getting any alerts for new mail, as it's hard to keep an eye on 200+ folders per box.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:27 AM

Answers

• Issue description: Desktop Alert didn’t work for additional mailboxes

Per my researching, there’s no possibility to accomplish that other than primary mailbox. Could you describe how you are able to work manually? (“I can also run the rules manually and it works like a charm”)

The only way to achieve this function would be self-programmed COM Addin or certain rules, here’re two possible solutions for you:

1.       Get alert by rules:

a.       On the additional mailboxes, create a rule that fires on all incoming emails

b.      The rule should be a server side rule and should have the server send a notification email to your primary mailbox

c.       Then, on the primary mailbox you create another rule that display a desktop alert and deletes all of these incoming notification emails [Client-Only rule]

2.       Write a small COM Addin that checks if a new mail arrived at the additional mailboxes. As soon as the Com Addin find a new email, you can either send a notification email to the primary mailbox saying that a new mail arrived, or you could show a kind of message box or popup showing that the new email arrived

Notes: The following KB articles will help you to create it:

Ø  How To Create Office COM Add-Ins by Using VBA and Office Developer

Ø  How To Build an Office COM Add-in by Using Visual Basic .NET

Ø  Message Box function

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:23 AM

All replies

• Issue description: Desktop Alert didn’t work for additional mailboxes

Per my researching, there’s no possibility to accomplish that other than primary mailbox. Could you describe how you are able to work manually? (“I can also run the rules manually and it works like a charm”)

The only way to achieve this function would be self-programmed COM Addin or certain rules, here’re two possible solutions for you:

1.       Get alert by rules:

a.       On the additional mailboxes, create a rule that fires on all incoming emails

b.      The rule should be a server side rule and should have the server send a notification email to your primary mailbox

c.       Then, on the primary mailbox you create another rule that display a desktop alert and deletes all of these incoming notification emails [Client-Only rule]

2.       Write a small COM Addin that checks if a new mail arrived at the additional mailboxes. As soon as the Com Addin find a new email, you can either send a notification email to the primary mailbox saying that a new mail arrived, or you could show a kind of message box or popup showing that the new email arrived

Notes: The following KB articles will help you to create it:

Ø  How To Create Office COM Add-Ins by Using VBA and Office Developer

Ø  How To Build an Office COM Add-in by Using Visual Basic .NET

Ø  Message Box function

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Hello James,

Can you please explain with an example for 1st Solution?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Can you please provide 1st COM Add-Ins? It would be really appriciated.
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:02 PM