Missing Navigation Pane? RRS feed

• Question

• As weird as this may sound, it appears i'm experiencing a case of selective pane absence. In this case, the Navigation Pane on the side of all "Open File" related dialog windows is plainly.. gone, even though it occupies space, as shown in the picture in the link below.

I've already tried to find relevant problems on the web, but nothing of particular usefulness that can fix the issue. I'm unaware of what caused the issue, and unfortunately i don't have the slightest clue as of how to troubleshoot it.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:28 PM

Answers

• Adding to Andre's suggestion:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

<excerpt>

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

</excerpt>

It could be the ExplorerFrame.dll or Comdlg32.dll

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Coornio Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:29 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 2:18 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Press WinKey + R, and click Browse...

Does the Open dialog exhibit the same behavior?

Does switching to the default Aero theme make any difference?

Sunday, March 27, 2011 4:01 AM
    Answerer
  • The pane for the browser dialog works alright, that's the weird part. I'm only experiencing the problem when it comes to Open File dialogs.

I did try switching themes in case it was caused by the one i'm using. Default or not, it didn't budge, same as before.

I "think" it may be related to the explorerframe.dll, but i'm not exactly sure if it actually involves the navigation pane.

I'd also like to point out that the missing pane is not simply invincible, in case i'm asked. It occupies space but nothing but plain white exists.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Maybe the ExplorerFrame.dll is damaged. Have you replaced the DLL because you use the 3rd party Theme?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:47 PM
  • I have yet to try replacing that file (since my backup is gone, probably overwrote it without noticing) to see if the problem is fixed, but i wanted to say that Open File dialogs that don't use the aero interface display the navigation pane without problems. I'll write again when i manage to find a working copy.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:01 PM
  • what is sfc /scannow telling you? if the Explorerframe.dll damaged or not?

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:54 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Adding to Andre's suggestion:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

<excerpt>

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

</excerpt>

It could be the ExplorerFrame.dll or Comdlg32.dll

• Marked as answer by Coornio Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:29 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 2:18 PM
    Answerer
  • From a log file of 10.000 lines, it's hard to tell if the file was damaged or not afterall. But the good thing is that it actually worked, and restored a couple of icons that had disappeared, which makes me more than happy this is over. Thanks for letting me know of this command. Case Closed.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:29 AM
  • you're welcome :)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:54 PM
  • I just fixed the problem. In Windows 8, there is a "view" ribbon, on the view ribbon, select Navigation Pane, and select show folders, and it will return.

Regards

Java Bucket

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:57 AM