none
Unable to browse network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I want to be able to access a shared folder on our network. When the profile has no restrictions, there is no problem. If I apply custom restrictions, I am unable to browse the network - I get the error "Access to the resource \\***.***.**.* has been disallowed"

If I turn off all the restrictions, I am able to browse to the shared drive.

The profile is unlocked. The user is an administrator. The administrator account (not controlled by Steady State) can browse to the shared folder.

I tried turning on the restrictions one by one (logging in and out each time), and eventually got to the point where all the original restrictions were turned on - and was allowed to browse the network to the shared folder. As soon as I restarted, the same error message came back.

I've used exactly the same restrictions on other networks with no problems whatsoever with browsing to shared folders.

Any suggestions gratefully acknowledged - this level of flakiness in a piece of potenially very good software is very annoying.

Marcus

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:31 AM

Answers

• I managed to solve my own problem. In the end, it was the option "Show run command" on the start menu restrictions that I had to turn off to get it to be able to browse the network - I had to restart the workstation every time I changed one of the options.

Yes, I think it is weird too.

Marcus

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:20 AM

All replies

• I managed to solve my own problem. In the end, it was the option "Show run command" on the start menu restrictions that I had to turn off to get it to be able to browse the network - I had to restart the workstation every time I changed one of the options.

Yes, I think it is weird too.

Marcus

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:20 AM
  •  

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for sharing your find.

Here is my method without disable the "Remove the Run icon" restriction.

Create a shortcut of the shared folder or other resource:

----------------

1. Log in with an administrator account

2. Right click on the blank space of your desktop, click New -> Shortcut. Type in the shared location and then shortcut name to create a shortcut.

Note: We can also locate the shared folder first and then right click it and then choose Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut)

3. Put the shortcut to the Desktop folder of the shared user

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>.orig\Desktop\

4. Then, log in with a shared user and test the shortcut.

Hope this method works.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:49 AM