none
Old Restrictions New account RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have used steady state on the same computer for the past year or so, and now after wiping the drive and reinstalling WinXP Pro SP3, and creating a new account in Steady State, I get the error that I cannot edit the account since it is still logged on when its not.  The account even has restriction applied to a previous account that I hadn't even tried to restrict.  No desktop wall paper, just a blue screen with icons and the old windows start menu.  I can load IE and use the web, but access to the menu bars is missing.

I can only wonder who it may be that is storing or saving what has been put on this computer since it is a business and it is located near an international airport.

Why can't I edit accounts in a new install of Steady State.  Who could it be who is retaining these restrictions.  Surely is some remote or roaming thing.

How is this corrected, or who can tell me why this is happening on a clean install and a wiped hard drive with a DOD wipe and remnants of an old account?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:23 PM

Answers

•  

Hi gypski, we can first perform the following steps to check the result for such error message you received when trying to change restrictions for shared user:

Suggestion 1: Disable Antivirus applications temporarily

Suggestion 2: Install UPClean

-----------------------------

Download and install the UPHCLEAN tool on the terminal server to test this issue again. UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces open resources to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles. This tool can be downloaded from the link below:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps!

Friday, August 29, 2008 5:57 AM

All replies

• I should claify my post above a little.  I created a new account within Steady State after a wipe and clean reinstall with SP3 installed before any internet connection was made.  The account that I created within Steady State had no restrictions applied since I logged on to the new account to set up the parameters in internet options as far as cookies, privacy, history, etc..  It was when I logged on to the account that I was faced with a blue background and the other features I mentioned.  I was surprised to see this and the limitations that were previously put on the last account before the wipe that was restricted using Steady State.

I have seen this same thing before under other accounts that I have created with both the Shared Computer Tool Kit and Steady State.  After a guest had used the computer with a Steady State in the restricted account, then the next person to want to use the computer couldn't log on because of a roaming account couldn't be loaded into the profile that was now associated with the account.  I just deleated the account and made a new one to fix it.  Steady State is supposed to block this type of roaming.  If I manually block roaming/remote accounts administratively along with SS, accounts don't work properly.

It is a public access computer for lodging guests, and a wide array of users.  I have tried my best to prevent unauthorized access or use, but it seems Steady State is failing.  Still I hope someone can provide an answer to this problem or remote hack.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:46 PM
  • One more entry on this incident.  While waiting to see if anyone replied with an answser, I created another user account.  And this time, the account was created with total restrictions by default.  I have never seen this happen using SS.  When I created the first account mentioned, I went through all the tabs and they were unchecked.  Go figure.  You would think someone from MS would step up and answer this because it is totally abnormal in my experience using SS and SCTK. 

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

Hi gypski, we can first perform the following steps to check the result for such error message you received when trying to change restrictions for shared user:

Suggestion 1: Disable Antivirus applications temporarily

Suggestion 2: Install UPClean

-----------------------------

Download and install the UPHCLEAN tool on the terminal server to test this issue again. UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces open resources to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles. This tool can be downloaded from the link below:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps!

Friday, August 29, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Hello,

I just saw this reply as I was involved in other matters.  I will do as you suggest.  I have not received any error messages yet but I will not any that do occur.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:08 PM
  • Ok, I ran the Hive clean-up no error messages from the admin account, but cookies were temporarily disabled.  I just reset the security settings in Internet Options to default, rebooted and cookies have been restored.

When I logged on to the restricted account, I got the notice to save to an external device since all changes would be removed on reboot.  I don't have disk protection turned on, nor did I turn on disk protection with this round of installs.

So.............................what's next?

Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:22 PM
  • I jsut now notice too that automatic updates have been greyed out and are turned off.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:23 PM
  •  

Hi gypski, have you turned off Windows Disk Protection before removing Windows SteadyState? It seems like WDP is still enabled when removing SteadyState. Also, what's the status in Scheduled Software Update? If Automatic Updates cannot be enabled, we may need to contact system support for further help.

Monday, September 1, 2008 3:49 AM
  • I never turned disk protection on, and I have enabled the automatic updates through the Administrative tools menu.  We have had a guest who has been been accessing the 0.0.0.0 with iexplore as a user on the lobby account that is restricted with SS.  I can provide Port Parser and Port Reporter logs showing this and all activity the past three days.  I know who the person is since they were the very first person to log on after I installed Port Parser and Port Reporter, and every entry that was made when they were logged on the access the same 0.0.0.0 address.  I have personally observed the person when they were using the computer but not watching what they were doing.  This hasn't shonw up with any other lobby user nor in an adminstrative account activities.  But it does show up with Kaspersky avp.exe and NT Authority/System>, and vsmon.exe from Zone Alarm. 

And aberrant DNS activity has shown up in the Network Monitor 3.1 logs.  I will provide the addresses if requested since one is DuPont co, on is IANA and another had no WHOIS match.  

I'll wait to hear back from you.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:38 PM
  • I want to add that I just went to print something out of Word Pad, and in the pages to print section had 1-65535.  Strange because there are 65535 ports on a computer.  Its an HP deskjet D2330.  If I click the file/print for this web page, I only get the number 1.  But printing from Word Pad still shows pages 1-65535 listed as a default setting.  Something is really fishy here.  I have a screen shot of the print dialog window. 

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:50 AM
  •  

Hi gypski, I suggest you check whether the restriction "Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes" is marked in User Settings. If this one is marked, we can also receive this kind of message when using the account to log on.

Regarding Automatic Updates and printer issue, I recommend you contact our Windows system support group to resolve in a timely manner.

Windows Update support group:  

https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=1&gprid=6527

Windows XP newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:19 AM
  • Yes, I have the profile locked and as I said above.  I will contact the support team concerning this issue.  I have contacted our ISP provider on a similiar issue concerning the DNS activity, and will also contact them about this.  Thanks.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Did you ever get an answer about this pages to print issue?  I too have seen this happen in Word Pad and it was seemingly unrelated to anything else, a sheer mystery.  If you can share anything that you have found on this I will be utterly grateful.  Thanks.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:27 PM