Slow Win7 Pro on Dell laptop Precision M4600 RRS feed

• Question

• My windows 7 suddenly become slow and not functioning correctly, I checked the hardware (Dell laptop), and everything is OK, I re-installed the windows but still the same...

I did download the security essential software and my laptop was clean.

I did download all the updates and the same result

how can I find where is the problem? is there any diagnostic tool?

Regards

Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Using the Full System Diagnostic tool, you can analyze your entire system to identify issues involving hardware components, software and overall performance.

However, regarding the issue about slow windows, we generally take actions below:

1. Optimize the whole disk with Disk Defragmenter and clear the Windows cache files in Internet options>General tab>Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files>Delete all offline content.
    2. Check the startup items to see if a service or startup program is causing the slowness. Thus attempt to make a clean boot to check if this issue disappear.
    3. Locate which processes take up the most resources with process explorer  and then kill them.
    4. Run a manufactures hard drive tester to see if there are corrupt sectors, etc. and run windows memory diagnostic tool by typing mdsched in run.

Hope it helps!

• Proposed as answer by 暁北 Monday, September 9, 2013 12:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:07 AM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 9:51 AM

All replies

• You need to go to the Dell website and download the Dell diagnostics if you don't already have it on your computer: http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/04?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, September 1, 2013 5:17 PM
  • what anti virus you use in your laptop? or use only microsoft security so that it will not slow.
    Sunday, September 1, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

Using the Full System Diagnostic tool, you can analyze your entire system to identify issues involving hardware components, software and overall performance.

However, regarding the issue about slow windows, we generally take actions below:

1. Optimize the whole disk with Disk Defragmenter and clear the Windows cache files in Internet options>General tab>Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files>Delete all offline content.
    2. Check the startup items to see if a service or startup program is causing the slowness. Thus attempt to make a clean boot to check if this issue disappear.
    3. Locate which processes take up the most resources with process explorer  and then kill them.
    4. Run a manufactures hard drive tester to see if there are corrupt sectors, etc. and run windows memory diagnostic tool by typing mdsched in run.

Hope it helps!

• Proposed as answer by 暁北 Monday, September 9, 2013 12:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:07 AM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 9:51 AM