Search Results - Email Messages - How can I open the email? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running vista utlimate with outlook 2003.  When I search for a particular item, I get several email results.  However, when I double click on any item it will not bring up the email (via outlook). 

I can double click on excel, word, text files, etc and the files will come up ok.  When I click on emails, though, nothing happens. 

Is there a way to open these emails through the search results window?

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:56 AM

All replies

• Having the same problem here, been searching the Interwebs for weeks to no avail.  Has anyone figured this out?
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:16 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem. Running Vista Business x64 and Outlook 2003. Plenty of email results show up in the search results, but I can't open any of them by double clicking, or right click and select 'Open'.
    I would expect double clicking to open the relevant email in Outlook, but that does not happen.
    As above all other file types are opened correctly.

This is very frustrating as I was hoping not to have to install Google Desktop search on my new Vista machine. However if this problem can't be resolved that will be my only option?

Any solutions gratefully received...
    • Proposed as answer by NSara Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:16 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:42 AM
  • I can also say, that I have the same problem. I am running Windows 7 and Outlook 2007. Nothing happens when I click any of the emails in the search results pane. After a restart of the system, a click on a mail in the search results pane will bring up a grey outlook symbol in the system tray for 5-10 seconds. Then it disappears and no mail is coming up.

Any help is highly apreciated!
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:29 AM