Backup and restore problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a sharepoint site which has multiple custom webparts on one server. I took backup of the site and tried to restore it on another server, after restoring it, it is showing following error

An error occurred during the processing of . Could not load file or assembly 'MyWebPart, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9f4da00116c38ec5' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Thanks in advance

Charanu Kumar

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:49 AM

Answers

• Charanu --

In order for that backup to be functional in the restore environment, you're going to have to do one of two things:

• deploy to your restore server those custom webparts that you have installed on your original server. They were not included in the backup, and their absence is what's giving you that error.
    • if you were able to successfully restore the site into SharePoint, and you're seeing that error in a SharePoint page, try appending "?contents=1" (without the quotation marks) to the end of the page's URL, which will bring up the page's web part maintenance page. In that page, remove the custom web part from the page and it should then open without issue. Now, that won't work if you have customizations baked into the site's master pages and page layouts that you haven't deployed to the restore server, but if you just have web parts this will remove the error and allow you to access the page. It will also cause you to lose the data and configuration information stored directly in that web part, as well as the functionality that it provided, but it will get your page for your site back.\

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

• Marked as answer by Cherry009 Wednesday, June 6, 2012 4:02 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:57 PM