Error removing public folders on Exchange 2010 after migration to 2013. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

We migrated our Exchange 2010 deployment to Exchange 2013 about a month ago. The Exchange 2010 server has been powered off for 3 weeks and all is well. There are no issues with public folders or anything else.

I powered the Exchange 2010 server back on yesterday to remove all of the databases and decommission the server. When I try to remove the Public Folder Database, I am getting a message that says "You are attempting to remove the last public folder database in the organization....Are you sure that you want to delete the last public folder database?"

Any idea why I am getting this message? Is it safe to say yes?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brad.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Because there’s no longer a Public Folder Database in Exchange 2013, the Public Folder Database in Exchange 2010 is the last Public Folder Database. When you try to remove the Public Folder Database in Exchange 2010, it will pops up the message that says "You are attempting to remove the last public folder database in the organization....Are you sure that you want to delete the last public folder database?" It is normal.

Before you want to decommission the Exchange 2010 server, please make sure all the public folders have been migrated to Exchange 2013 public folder mailbox and Exchange 2013 server works well.

If all the public folders have been migrated to Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2013 server works well, then you can remove the public folder database in Exchange 2010.

Here is an article about how to remove Public Folder Database for your reference.

Remove Public Folder Databases
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by BradG87 Friday, December 13, 2013 4:04 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 4:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Because there’s no longer a Public Folder Database in Exchange 2013, the Public Folder Database in Exchange 2010 is the last Public Folder Database. When you try to remove the Public Folder Database in Exchange 2010, it will pops up the message that says "You are attempting to remove the last public folder database in the organization....Are you sure that you want to delete the last public folder database?" It is normal.

Before you want to decommission the Exchange 2010 server, please make sure all the public folders have been migrated to Exchange 2013 public folder mailbox and Exchange 2013 server works well.

If all the public folders have been migrated to Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2013 server works well, then you can remove the public folder database in Exchange 2010.

Here is an article about how to remove Public Folder Database for your reference.

Remove Public Folder Databases
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by BradG87 Friday, December 13, 2013 4:04 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 4:28 AM
  • Belinda,

Thanks for your response. I thought that was the case but it's nice to have confirmation.

I have successfully finished decommissioning our old Exchange 2010 server.

Brad.

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:06 PM