What permissions are required to edit a filename of a document in a document library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If I set contributer rights on my library I can change the filename of a document. If I remove delete from contributer via the permission level then I can edit the metedata fields but I can not edit the filename (I get Access Denied). What I would like is to have a (non coded) solution whereby users with read/edit rights only can also change the filename but these users must not be able to delete the document.

Is this possible OOB?

Thanks

Paul

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:20 AM

Answers

• The above behaviour is by design, check it out - Delete right is required.

I have resolved the issue in that I have created an eventreceiver that will cancel a delete if someone not authorised tries to delete the doc .. this way regular users can add/read/edit but not delete.

• Edited by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:28 PM

All replies

• Just copy the contribute permission group and uncheck the "Delete Item" permission.
    Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:41 AM
    Answerer
  • That is exactly what I did which is why I posted the question as I thought it would work, I have a new permission item called 'Contribute No Delete'. Have you tried this and does it work successfully for you?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:57 AM
  • HI,

It should be working out to you. Do you have any other permission defined in other way?

You can check it with securityreportaccount functionality that is available in AdminToolkit.

You will get it here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14227 

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:59 AM
  • This is a standard team site with a standard doc library all using the standard Contribute permission level to start with. I copy the Contribute level and remove the delete option ... then users with that modified level can not change the filename. User with Contribute level can change the filename.

Can you verify that this works for you - if it does I can dig some more, if not then I will find another way.

Thanks

• Edited by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:46 AM
  • The above behaviour is by design, check it out - Delete right is required.

I have resolved the issue in that I have created an eventreceiver that will cancel a delete if someone not authorised tries to delete the doc .. this way regular users can add/read/edit but not delete.

• Edited by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:28 PM