Games for Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have updated my windows XP to windows 7 so it's not ready now, so theres where my question comes.
    I like to play games on my computer. But since i downloaded windows 7 i can't play my old games for windows XP.
    I'm just wondering if somebody knows if theres going to be games for windows 7 sone or if they going to make old games work?

Sorry for my english, not the best it can be.

Monday, June 22, 2009 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hey Isaaaak,
    I'm also an avid gamer, and in my experience with gaming on Windows 7 is that the majority of games will work the same way as they have done previously on Windows XP.
    Since it seems like you need a detailed answer, here is a solution to get most games playing smoothly

Here's How:
    1. Right click on the Game.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed.
    compatibility-mode-compatibility-1.jpg
    4. To Run a Game in Compatibility Mode -
    NOTE: Runs the game using settings from windows service pack 2.
    A) Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box. (See screenshot below)

B) Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the game was made for. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: Always pick the latest Windows version the game was written for to have a better chance of it running properly in Windows 7.
    compatibility-mode-compatibility.jpg
    5. To Change the Settings for a Game -
    A) Check or uncheck the settings you want for the program. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: See the table below the screenshot for a description of each setting.
    compatibility-mode-settings.jpg
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:34 AM

All replies

• Most games that was supported under XP also works under WIN7.
    However since you don't specify which you have difficulty with we can't help you.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:48 PM
  • I'm sorry for that, i installed cossacks 2 and starwars battelfront 2 not very good games but i wanted to try before i buy new games.
    The installation went well. But when i tryed to launch the games it just chut down.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:50 PM
  • (1) Your old games may work on Windows 7 by simply installing them on this system. They may work only in XP compatibility mode (or only if you installed them in XP compatibility mode). They may work with a patch, if there is one. They may not work at all. There's no general answer to that. (2) There will be games designed to work on Windows 7, you can be sure of that. Don't ask me when. Most probably, after Windows 7 reaches the market (end of the year). (3) Some games with a certain commercial success could be granted a patch that makes them compatible with the new OS. Others, possibly not. What answers do you expect?
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Thank you that's good.  I needed som information about it just so i know.
    The thing is that i got many games but it feels pretty disturbing to not be able to use them.

Thanks for your information.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:04 PM
  • To comfort you a bit: I didn't play the two games you referred to. But I've quite a bunch of games (mostly rpg's) that I tried - and none of them gave a major problem. You must only know what does the trick, sometimes. You cannot expect that inserting the right disk does the whole job.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:16 PM
  • No i know i can't expect that. But i'm only 14 years old , so i needed some help. Do you think online games will work?
    And i maybe need to install it costum?

Monday, June 22, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Hey Isaaaak,
    I'm also an avid gamer, and in my experience with gaming on Windows 7 is that the majority of games will work the same way as they have done previously on Windows XP.
    Since it seems like you need a detailed answer, here is a solution to get most games playing smoothly

Here's How:
    1. Right click on the Game.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed.
    compatibility-mode-compatibility-1.jpg
    4. To Run a Game in Compatibility Mode -
    NOTE: Runs the game using settings from windows service pack 2.
    A) Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box. (See screenshot below)

B) Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the game was made for. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: Always pick the latest Windows version the game was written for to have a better chance of it running properly in Windows 7.
    compatibility-mode-compatibility.jpg
    5. To Change the Settings for a Game -
    A) Check or uncheck the settings you want for the program. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: See the table below the screenshot for a description of each setting.
    compatibility-mode-settings.jpg
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:34 AM
  • as an addition to Fahid's answer, if your having problems make sure the checkbox at the bottom that says "Run this program as an Admistrator" (withour quotes) is checked.

Otherwise sometimes the game won't be allowed to write to it's own directory (VERY important if it stores config file and save games there)

The PC Specs: Athlon 3500+ 1GB RAM Geforce 8600 GT (256MB) MB:ASUS A8N-VM-CSM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:29 AM