DVD/CD Drive not reading CDs. Reads DVDs. RRS feed

• Question

• The DVD/CD drive on my DELL Inspiron E1505/6400 laptop stopped working before November (I found out the problem in Nov.).  I've tried several common solutions from forums, but none worked (see below).  Device Manager states that the driver is working correctly, and that the most up-to-date driver is loaded.  I don't have any yellow or red markers by the drive in Device Manager.  Please see below for the "solutions" that I have tried so far.

System and DVD/CD drive info:
    - Windows Vista SP1
    - Sony DVD RW DW-Q58A ATA Device (CD/DVD burner for laptop)
    - driver version 6.0.6001.18000 (most up-to-date from Microsoft)
    - driver date: 6/21/2006

TRIED THE FOLLOWING BUT NONE WORKED.  #13 GOT DVDs PLAYING BUT NOT CDs.  (items not listed in the order that I tried them)
    1.  Deleted UpperFilter in 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318, then restarted computer.  There were no lower filters.
    2.  Checked Autoplay options in Control Panel
    3.  Enabled/Disabled device via clicking on Properties for CD/DVD in device manager.
    4.  Checked for most up-to-date driver.  (It's already installed)
    5.  Uninstalled driver then restarted computer to reinstall device driver.
    6.  Updated firmware from UYS2 to UYS4.
    7.  I tried System Restore, but I could only go back before Nov.  There were no restore points for months before November. 
    8.  Tested a working CD/DVD from another computer with Vista in my computer.  DVDs and CDs worked fine.  But, I don't want to have to buy another CD/DVD drive for my laptop.  They're expensive.
    9.  Sent setupapi files to Microsoft technician for review.  Technican responded but didn't note any issues with file.
    10.  Purchased and ran copy of Regcure.
    11.  Ran Malware/Spyware check with latest updates.
    12.  Uninstalled iTunes (just in case this was a problem)
    13.  Reinstalled Windows using Vista SP1 from disk requested from DELL disk.
    14.  Best Buy technician ran program to replace entries from registry that I was told are sometimes dropped by windows.  At this point, DVDs would play but not CD (music CDs or CD-Rom).  Sorry, I don't know which update was ran that enabled DVDs to work again.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Tryren,

Since you even cannot open the CD by right-clicking and choose "Open", we will still focus on the DVD drive. I suggest that you check if there is any filter driver again. After you confirm that no filter drivers are present, reload the driver for the device.

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "regedit" and press Enter. 

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

4. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".

5. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".

6. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.

7. Restart the computer.

The drivers will be loaded automatically.

If the issue still occurs, the problem may related to the hardware. I suggest that you boot in Safe Mode, and try to open the disk in Safe Mode. If the issue still occurs, we may need to contact manufacturer and check hardware issues. To boot in Safe Mode, Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up.

Hope it helps.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you open the CD after you insert the CD, right-click on the DVD drive and click Open? Can you play the CD after you rip the CD onto hard drive in Windows Media Player? When the issue occurs, whether the player does not launch, or error message is received?

If the disk can be opened, the DVD drive should work fine. The issue should be CD playing related. The most possible root cause is the installed iTunes. The following article may be helpful.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-play-audio-CD-in-Windows-Vista

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest that you try the steps below to reset Windows Media Player.

1. Find the following folder.

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Media\11.0

2. Rename the folder.

3. Restart.

4. Launch Windows Media Player. It would prompt that you need to configure WMP. Please reconfigure it.

If the issue still occurs, I suggest that you create a new user profile.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel. 

2. Click Classic View in left panel. 

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage another use account. 

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

Please let us know if the issue occurs. 

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:49 AM
  •  Arthur,

I can play and burn DVDs.  The drive does not read CDs.  It doesn't rip/burn them either.  When I put a Music CD or CD-Rom in the drive, the drive spins but never recognizes that a CD is in it.  If I right-click the CD drive while a CD is in it, the drive automatically opens and a message displays asking me to, "Insert disk into the drive".  The drive does this, I'm assuming, because it doesn't recognize the CD that I just put into it.  (Also, whenever I first put the CD into the drive, an icon of a CD appears next to the mouse pointer).

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER
    I have Windows Vista SP1 and the windows media player came with that.  I checked the folder path you gave to me. I don't have that path on my PC.  The path I have is:   C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\.  There are no other folders inside Media Player.  I changed the name of the Media Player folder and started Media Player.  A msg appeared asking me to identify a library.

Should I have that path?  If so,  I don't know why I don't have it. 

(note:  I few days ago, I uninstalled itunes, but the problem continued).

CREATING NEW USER ID
    I created a new user ID (non-administrator).  The issue was not resolved.

Thanks for your quick response.  Let me know what else I can try (or if I misread your instructions and need to retry something).

Thank you,

Tyren

Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Hi Tryren,

Since you even cannot open the CD by right-clicking and choose "Open", we will still focus on the DVD drive. I suggest that you check if there is any filter driver again. After you confirm that no filter drivers are present, reload the driver for the device.

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "regedit" and press Enter. 

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

4. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".

5. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".

6. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.

7. Restart the computer.

The drivers will be loaded automatically.

If the issue still occurs, the problem may related to the hardware. I suggest that you boot in Safe Mode, and try to open the disk in Safe Mode. If the issue still occurs, we may need to contact manufacturer and check hardware issues. To boot in Safe Mode, Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up.

Hope it helps.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:42 AM
  • I have the same issue with my sony vaio that runs on windows 8.  I have tried everything arthur said and it didnt work.  Someone please help
    • Edited by suzzieg70 Saturday, May 10, 2014 2:19 AM
    Saturday, May 10, 2014 2:18 AM