none
DRAFT project schedule - who can SEE it? RRS feed

• Question

• If I create a draft project schedule and have not published it, can another user access it later to edit the draft (when the file is checked in and I do not have it checked out)?

We have a team of users building a project schedule, and are trying to understand who exactly can access a draft that has never been published.

Many thanks!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Users that can access to your project plan will be able to see your draft plan in MS Project Pro. You'll see that while opening a project plan in MS Project Pro, you can choose from which DB: draft (read/write or read only) or publish (read only).

Not publishing the plan will have the following consequences:

• Assignments will NOT be published to the resources in theirs timesheets or tasks updates in PWA.
    • Projects data will NOT be send to the reporting DB, thus the last version of your project will not be in the reporting (based on the reporting DB).

Here is a useful link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/save-and-publish-a-project-to-project-web-app-HA102809569.aspx

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Zenyatta12and13 --

The answer depends on how you have your Project Server permissions configured in Groups and Categories.  If you have the default permissions enabled for the Project Managers group, only you will be able to see, open, and edit this project using the Microsoft Project desktop application.  With the default permissions, if any of your fellow users who are building the project are assigned to tasks in the project, then they should also be able to open and edit the project using the Microsoft Project desktop application.  This is because the permission called The User Is Is On That Project's Project Team is enabled by default in the My Projects category that is included in the Project Managers group.

If your Project Server administrator has modified the default permissions for the Project Managers group so that project managers can see, open, and edit every project, then each member of your team of users would be able to open the project using the Microsoft Project desktop application.

Because the project has not been published, no one, including you, will be able to open and edit the project using the Project Center in PWA.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Gentlemen, thank you both.  Your answers help very much!
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:11 PM
  • You're very welcome!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Dale and/or Guillaume,

We checked and this permission is enabled:  The User Is Is On That Project's Project Team

However, while I am assigned as team member and as resource for a colleague's draft plan, when I try to open it from MS Project Pro 2010 client, I receive this msg:

Do you know where else I might look in settings for groups and permissions to locate the setting that's causing this?

Thanks so much!

Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:10 PM
  • Hi Zenyatta12and13,

You've got this message because the project is already opened in read/write mode by another user.

When clicking on file/open, then "retrieve the list of all projects of the server" (but also looking at your local cache without retrieving all projects from the server), you'll see if the project is check-out or not, by who and since when:

Then the user has to check in the project so another user can check it out. Two users CANNOT open in read-write mode the same projects at the same time, neither with MS Project Pro nor with PWA (schedule PDP).

If the project hasn't been properly checked-in, then the user will have to force the checkin from the project center "archive my project" button. Or the admin will have to force it from the server setting menu "force checkin enterprise objects".

Hope this helps.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:24 PM
  • It's not checked out, though, Guillaume.
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Project is check out to some one else or cache is creating issue. 

To remove project from Local Cache, please do the following steps:

Launch Project Professional 2010 by connecting to MS Project Server account
    File menu -> Options -> Save -> Cache

System will display the Clean Up Cache dialog box with following filters.

Projects not checked out to you
    Projects checked out to you

Projects not checked out to you option:

Select the "Projects not checked out you" filter from dropdown
    Highlight the project and click on "Remove from Cache" 

System deletes the project from local cache

Projects checked out to you option:

Select the "Projects checked out by you" filter from dropdown
    Highlight the project and click on "Remove from Cache" 

System prompts the following warning message to get the confirmation from you regarding whether you saved the project that checked out by you
    If you are absolutely sure that you already saved the changes already, click "Yes" to delete the project from cache.

If you are not sure about the latest changes whether you saved, in that case please click "No" button and close the Clean Up Cache dialog box and return to MS Project Pro to save the change.

If caching related issue appears to persists after having followed the steps above, consider deleting your cache folder through the file explorer. Here is how:

Launch Project Professional 2010 by connecting to MS Project Server account
    File menu -> Options -> Save -> Cache
    Locate the "Cache location" text box and click on "Browse..." button next to it
    Open the folder you want to delete and make sure there is no project file you need inside
    Right click on the cache folder you want to delete, and select delete, click on YES
    Repeat as needed if you have more than 1 folder
    Close the windows
    Exit Project Professional

Also from Force check in PWA check for the project and do check in. once you perform all of the above then you will not see error message.

kirtesh

Friday, January 17, 2014 4:56 AM
  • I feel like it is a setting within the groups and categories permissions, but I cannot isolate the setting that is causing the problem.

(We do clear cache regularly and understand check-in and force check-in.  It's just that none of these conditions you are describing are found with this issue.)

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Indeed an obvious reason in a cache issue.

But if you have correctly done the following:

• in server setting, ensure that the project is not checked out
    • in your local cache, clean it up

and you still have this message, then it is not about the cache.

In order to point out the culprit,

• try another computer : then you'll know if it is a client issue
    • try with another account with different security group : then you'll know if it is a permission

Just as an obvious comment : it is NOT POSSIBLE to open a project from the PUBLISH database in READ-WRITE mode, just un read-only mode.

Concerning the permission, ensure that the user is in a security group that has the "open project" permission. Be careful about multiple groups belonging.

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 17, 2014 5:38 PM
  • You are not able to open project form MPP in read write mode because you dont have enough permission to open project in read wirte mode.

Normally Team member group is having permission to open project in read write mode. You should need project manager permission to open project in read write mode. Ask your Project server admin to add your account in Project manager group and remove the team member group. 

I am not suggesting you to add specific permission which is responsible to open project in read write mode to team member group  because if it would be enable to team member group then all user who are part team member group will be able to open project in read write mode and it may cause issues in projects. 

kirtesh

Friday, January 17, 2014 6:00 PM