CLR20r3/MMC/%systemroot%/DNS Failure/Installer Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Before you redirect me to another post regarding this topic (especially concerning CLR20r3), I have scoured the internet, trying every conceivable option at my disposal. This is a big post (in terms of the problems I'm having), so thank you in advance for your input.

THE RUNDOWN:
    So this was a 2008r2 server in-place upgraded to a 2012r2 server. I am having the following issues (which did not exist in 2008r2):

1) CLR20r3 when booting servermanager.exe  

2) I cannot load in MMC snap-ins....for basically anything. This means I can't get into the logs mmc to view whats going on.

3) I cannot install programs on this machine. Some suggestions have proposed installing new chipset/graphics drivers, the only problem is that I think there is some permissions debacle that is not allowing anything to be installed.

4) Lastly, this server is randomly losing its DNS addresses. Every hour (or so), I have to go into IPv4 properties and manually reset them. None of my other 2012r2 servers have this problem. Thoughts?

STEPS CURRENTLY TAKEN TOWARDS RESOLUTION:

1) Re-installed .net 4.5.2

2) Run the sfc /scannow

3) Cleaned the temp and %temp% folders

4) Tried (with little success) to update/re-install drivers

5) Deleted the user config file in  C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft_Corporation\ServerManager.exe_StrongName_m3xk0k0ucj0oj3ai2hibnhnv4xobnimj\10.0.0.0\user.config

Again, any help is really appreciated. I'm really starting to worry about this server, since it goes into production soon.

Thank you!

Matthew

-

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:23 PM

All replies

• I'd also like to add that the only roles running on this server are File Services and IIS.

Not sure if that helps, but just wanted to put it out there in case it does.

• Edited by MatthewIT Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:31 PM
  • You didn't provide much in the way of the error. (always best to quote exact text) I'd also try

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

or worst case a repair install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099

(if it is new and not in production I'd just clean install it .... my two cents)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:47 PM
  • What information would be useful in diagnosing this issue?

I just tried the command you suggested--unfortunately, did not make much of a difference. 

Upon further exploration, it appears that powershell is not launching either. Any thoughts on this?

Lastly, the reason this server is not in production is due to the fact that it operates on a school-year schedule (currently summer). This server does have *extremely* important data on it, making the clean install option not very feasible. 

Thanks,

Matthew

• Edited by MatthewIT Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:11 PM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:00 PM
  • What information would be useful in diagnosing this issue?
    1) CLR20r3 when booting servermanager.exe 
    ?

May need more details here.

4) Lastly, this server is randomly losing its DNS addresses. Every hour (or so), I have to go into IPv4 properties and manually reset them. None of my other 2012r2 servers have this problem. Thoughts?

an unedited ipconfig /all might help.

but as I said it may be much quicker to clean install it and get on to doing more productive things.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Ok. If I went with a clean install, how would you recommend migrating the data?

I do have another 2012r2 server I can migrate data to, but I obviously don't want to make a full-metal backup, since I don't want to carry these problems around the network. 

I have about 1TB of data, including roaming profiles and common files (docs, pdfs, etc)

How would you suggest to migrate this to another box in a timely (as much as possible) fashion?

Thank you,

Matthew

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:17 PM
  • This one might help though I'd probably start a new thread for this.

https://niktips.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/moving-active-directory-roaming-profiles-to-another-server/

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Thanks for your help,

Matthew

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:34 PM
  • You're welcome.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:39 PM