none
Fixing incorrectly named resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, i am attempting to run some reports a project plan, but the plan has incorrectly named resources.

Eg

JohnJones

Jon Jones

John Jones

What is the quickest way to merge these resources, or is it a case of doing it task by task?

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:32 PM

Answers

• Pardon me for bumping in.  If you are using a resource pool file, it is critical that each Project user has the option "Automatically add new resources and tasks" disabled or you end up in precisely the situation you have -- multiple different spellings of the same resource.  Each file connected to the pool should have the option disabled.

In Project 2007 and earlier -- Tools > Options, General tab.  In Project 2010 File > Options, Advanced.

As far a quickly replacing - turn off the Project Summary task - select all tasks by clicking the Task Name column heading.  Click the Assign resources button, select the "bad" resource -- choose replace -- and replace with the correct resource.  Continue until you replace all mis-spelled resources with the correct version.

Julie

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:17 PM
  • I know this question is nearly 4 years old. But I have recently found an easy method to bulk  move assignments between resources - open the assignments view and drag the from the incorrectly named resource to the correct resource. Simple, but I didn’t think of it at the time...
    • Marked as answer by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:49 AM
    • Edited by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:51 AM spelling
    Monday, March 28, 2016 7:48 PM

All replies

• I am not sure what you mean by incorrectly named resources.  Are you saying that "John Jones" is also "Jones John" or mispelling of the names?  Are these enterprise resources or local resources?

If you have the situation that you have a local and an enterprise you will have to reassign the enterprise resource replacing the local resource.

As a best practice all resources should come from the enterprise resource pool. There is not a merge function available.

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:40 PM
  • I would suggest open Resource Sheet and you can use General Office Feature CTRL F to pull up Find/Replace Box and do the changes.

Sapna S

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Hi Ellen,

these are on a local mpp file. The project manager has been unable to connect to the resource pool so has been manually entering names. However in a couple of places the names have been entered incorrectly resulting the problem above. 

All the john jones's are the same person, so i need to find a way of merging these, otherwise its a long and painful task of changing each task individually.

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

i have tried renaming the resources to a single name in the resource sheet, however even with the identical names, project still sees the identically named resources as different (assuming i'm not doing anything wrong)

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in.  If you are using a resource pool file, it is critical that each Project user has the option "Automatically add new resources and tasks" disabled or you end up in precisely the situation you have -- multiple different spellings of the same resource.  Each file connected to the pool should have the option disabled.

In Project 2007 and earlier -- Tools > Options, General tab.  In Project 2010 File > Options, Advanced.

As far a quickly replacing - turn off the Project Summary task - select all tasks by clicking the Task Name column heading.  Click the Assign resources button, select the "bad" resource -- choose replace -- and replace with the correct resource.  Continue until you replace all mis-spelled resources with the correct version.

Julie

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Solve the problem of not being about to connect to the resource pool would be the first problem to solve.  Why is this occurring?  Check permissions to see if he has the rights to open the pool?  Can he get resources through Build Team?  OR are you refering to a local resource pool and not one in MS Project Server?

Since there are assignments involved this will be a manual process of replacing the wrong resource with the correct resource on a task.  After all of the assignments have been removed from the wrong resource, you should remove the resources in error from the project schedule.

With a schedule open open the Assign Resource box.  Click on a wrong resource name, click replace and select and replace the correct resource for the task. 

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Hi Julia,

thanks for the tip re "Automatically add new resources and tasks", not something i was aware of. I shall make the pm's aware. 

Getting an up to date copy of the plans from the pm, and will use your method to fix the problem resources

Cheers.

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:27 PM
  • You're welcome and thank you for the feedback.  I know from bitter experience of the "automatically add new resources and tasks" setting.  I've never forgotten it since :-)

Good luck.

Julie

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Hi Ellen,

the pm is visiting me on Wednesday, so we can fix her access to the resource pool then - hopefully. 

If only we had project server....

Thanks all for the help

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Server would help with standardization.  Best of luck - I hope you are headed in the right direction now.

Thanks for the tip Julie - always good to know.

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I have a feeling i'm going to be spending some time here, been dropped in at the deep end as it were..

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:48 PM
  • We are here to help - The deep end is not an easy place to be.  Best of luck to you.

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:55 PM
  • I know this question is nearly 4 years old. But I have recently found an easy method to bulk  move assignments between resources - open the assignments view and drag the from the incorrectly named resource to the correct resource. Simple, but I didn’t think of it at the time...
    • Marked as answer by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:49 AM
    • Edited by rapscalli Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:51 AM spelling
    Monday, March 28, 2016 7:48 PM