none
Level Resources, Duration takes longer than it should RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In a project I have work for 1 month for 2 people. This should be done in 2 weeks. But I cannot manage this in MS Project.

In detail: I have 2 tasks:
    Task 1 takes 40 h and can only be done by PersonA.
    Task 2 takes 120 h can be done by both PersonA or PersonB.
    I created both tasks with "fixed work".
    I assigned the Resources: To Task1 I assigned PersonA and to Task2 I assigned PersonA and PersonB.

I would assume that MS Project levels the work in a way that PersonA works 40 h on Task 1 and 40 h on Task2 while PersonB works 80 h on Task 2.
    But what MS Project does, is that Person A works 40 h on Task 1 and 60 h on Task 2 while PersonB works 60 h on Task 2. So the duration in total is 2,5 days (20 h)longer than necessary.

How can I manage this without assigning the working packages manually? (This is a simpler example of a problem in a complexer project.)

I would be glad if anybody could help me. I'm using MS-Project 2007 Professional.

Regards,

Thomas

Friday, June 3, 2011 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Thomas,

I do understand your concern, but when you say proportion (its you who have to decide % proportion) as for the minimum duration thing, duration of 3 days tasks remain 3 days only its just that the Finish Date exceeds. Assignments, Leveling, Work Contours etc everything at some point require manual intervene to make the calculation go as required. Thanks for your patience and understanding the concept.

Sapna S
    Friday, June 3, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

When you say that you want your work on the Task 2 divided as 40hrs for Person A and 60 hrs for Person B, how does MSP understands this? You have made the tasks as Fixed Work which by defualt is Effort Driven which implies whatever are the WORK hrs gets divided equally between the Resources.

So since 2 tasks are in parallel, while you level it will definately increase the duration of a task to remove overallocation for Resource A.

So you can go and manually change the Assignment Start Date for the Task 2 for Resource A as after Finish Date of the Task A in Resource Usage View, this will let the task start in parallel, but Resource A gets involved only when he finishes Task A.

Sapna S
    Friday, June 3, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

thank you for your quick answer.

Is it possible to define a task with 2 available resources and the WORK hrs are not necessarily devided equally? How can I manage that the resource is used (or used more) that has more free time left?
    In my real project I have a task that can be done by 2 people. The task takes only 2 days but the duration is 3 weeks because one of both is in holidays in between. If I now assign it manually to the available person the assignment might be  a bottle neck if the levelling changes slightly in the future. I would like to tell MSP that either of the two people can do the job and the one that is available should be assigned.

Thomas

Friday, June 3, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

I guess your concern is you have a task on which 2 Resources are assigned which is of 2 days but because of holiday of 1 resource it is expanding to 3 weeks, right ? When such exception arises, the only option is you do the manual editing and in case you want to avoid the leave of a resource, you can double click a task and say - Avoid Resource Calendar. There is no way the tool can understand on its own I which proportion you want to divide the work on a task between resources.

Sapna S
    Friday, June 3, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

I want the tool to devide the work in proportions so that the duration is minimal, i.e. the finish date of the project is as early as possible.

But I understand that there is no setting to achieve this.
    So I will try to assign this manually as good as I can.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Regards

Thomas

Friday, June 3, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

I do understand your concern, but when you say proportion (its you who have to decide % proportion) as for the minimum duration thing, duration of 3 days tasks remain 3 days only its just that the Finish Date exceeds. Assignments, Leveling, Work Contours etc everything at some point require manual intervene to make the calculation go as required. Thanks for your patience and understanding the concept.

Sapna S
    Friday, June 3, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

Your understanding is right. Project never treis tuo "optimize", it calculates the assignments as you enter them.

Sorry

Friday, June 3, 2011 2:56 PM