Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage RRS feed

• Question

• We have run into a big issue here and would really like some assistance.

We are a law firm with about 200 users.   We have 5 RDS servers.

The only issue  we have had with the environment is the Adobe Reader takes up 12-13% of the cpu for every user that logs in.   Meaning once we get 5-6 users with Afobe reader open thn CPU is maxed.  We have adobe 6 Professional installed as well and it doesnt seem to be having the issue.

Friday, July 2, 2010 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I ran some quick tests with 4 concurrent users running Adobe Reader under 2008 R2, no Adobe Professional installed.  I tested with Adobe Reader versions 9.3.0.148, 9.3.2.163, and 9.3.3.177.  After opening cpu usage stayed at 0% for all instances of AcroRd32.exe.  I did not open any documents.

Have you tried creating a new test user so that a fresh profile is used?

Using Process Explorer, right-click on AcroRd32.exe, choose Properties. On the Threads tab, make note of which thread is using up most of the cpu and examine the Start Address column.  This information may give you a clue and/or may give someone at Adobe a clue as to the source of the issue.

Have you tried completely uninstalling all Adobe products from the server, manually deleting any remaining Adobe files under Program Files (x86) as well as each profile, removed Adobe entries in the registry for both the machine as well as the user profile, removed Adobe files from All Users profile, then reinstalled Adobe Reader?  See if you can get Reader to work okay first, then add Pro on later.

There are viruses that target Reader.  Have you scanned the server using virus scanners from multiple vendors as well as scanned using RootkitRevealer?

Have you asked questions about this problem on the Adobe forums?

Thanks.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:16 PM

All replies

• Which version and service pack of Windows are you using? Are you also using Citrix XenApp or Quest vWorkspace? What's the hardware platform?

Have you updated to Adobe Reader 9.3.3? Is the CPU usage an issue with the AcroRd32.exe process or another process related to Reader?

Is the CPU usage an issue if Reader is open with no documents or with a specific document? Does the issue occur when printing?

Friday, July 2, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

Yes we have updated to the latest.  Just Re-installed 2 nights ago with it straight from the website in hopes of fixing this problem.

We are not running any citrix platform.  Its a stratight RDS 2008 R2 environment.

The Adobe updater has been completely disabled.

This shoots the CPU to 13ish% even if no document is open.   All i have to do is open Adobe reader and it goes to 13%  Always sits right about there.  It fluxuates between 11-14 but sticks right around 13.

Also the first person of the day does not seem to do this to.  Its at 0% but anyone else on that server it will jump that high.

Hardware wise

ProLiant DL360 G6

2 Quad Core 2133mhz Processors

16 Ram per server

Friday, July 2, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

we can infer this issue lies in the Adobe Reader program. As it is manufactured by a company independent of Microsoft, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot this issue. I suggest contacting Adobe for directly assistance. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Thank you Wilson,  yea I pretty much knew that.   I was just hoping someone who would have all ready experianced this problem might have been able to assist.  Try to save from paying the Adobe tech support ticket.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

I ran some quick tests with 4 concurrent users running Adobe Reader under 2008 R2, no Adobe Professional installed.  I tested with Adobe Reader versions 9.3.0.148, 9.3.2.163, and 9.3.3.177.  After opening cpu usage stayed at 0% for all instances of AcroRd32.exe.  I did not open any documents.

Have you tried creating a new test user so that a fresh profile is used?

Using Process Explorer, right-click on AcroRd32.exe, choose Properties. On the Threads tab, make note of which thread is using up most of the cpu and examine the Start Address column.  This information may give you a clue and/or may give someone at Adobe a clue as to the source of the issue.

Have you tried completely uninstalling all Adobe products from the server, manually deleting any remaining Adobe files under Program Files (x86) as well as each profile, removed Adobe entries in the registry for both the machine as well as the user profile, removed Adobe files from All Users profile, then reinstalled Adobe Reader?  See if you can get Reader to work okay first, then add Pro on later.

There are viruses that target Reader.  Have you scanned the server using virus scanners from multiple vendors as well as scanned using RootkitRevealer?

Have you asked questions about this problem on the Adobe forums?

Thanks.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:16 PM
  • As instructed by Mr. TP I have ran process explorer and the entirity is on one thread Acrord32.dll!Dllcanunloadnow+09f8f  I know this is a bad place but I am continuing to post here in hopes this might help someone else in the future.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Same Problem here: Adobe Reader latest, Windows Server 2008 R2 full patched. Any suggestions? News from Adobe?

thanks in advance

Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Sir,  I spent weeks working on this.   Once I called adobe there answer was "We dont support Adobe Reader on a terminal server"

I downgraded adobe to version 8.2.3 and everything is now working fine.   One thing to point out is you will have to delete the adobe folders under each users profile {username}\applications Data\Adobe or you will get adobe crashing as it is looking for version 9 components.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Once I called adobe there answer was "We dont support Adobe Reader on a terminal server"

What an incredibly bone-headed stance from Adobe. 
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:37 AM