Auto text entry keeps reappearing RRS feed

• Question

• I've created an auto text entry for example test and then I renamed it to testr.

When I start entering test the quick menu pops up to press F3 or enter.

There's no auto text entry for test in the organizer.

How do I locate the test auto entry and delete it?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, August 9, 2019 12:13 AM

Answers

• Hi falcios,

How did you created the auto text entry? Could you post your detail steps or screenshot here?

Since I can't repeat your problem, I think maybe you should refer to  the official article: Create reusable text snippets. And please also refer to this link:https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:37 AM

All replies

• Which version of Word are you running? In recent versions, you can edit or delete AutoText entries as well as other types of Building Blocks via the Building Blocks Organizer. To display the Organizer, click Insert > Quick Parts > Building Blocks Organizer.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:59 PM
  • Hi falcios,

Please check the information of our MVP is helpful to you. If yes, it's recommended to mark it as answer so the information will also benefit other forum users a lot.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Monday, August 12, 2019 8:06 AM
  • I'm using 2010.

I looked up the word in the Building Blocks Organizer and it's not there to delete.

How many letters are required for Word to popup autotext suggestions. When I type, in this example, the autotext test the popup bubble appears with testr and press F3.

Monday, August 12, 2019 9:51 AM
  • Hi falcios,

How did you created the auto text entry? Could you post your detail steps or screenshot here?

Since I can't repeat your problem, I think maybe you should refer to  the official article: Create reusable text snippets. And please also refer to this link:https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:37 AM
  • At least four unique characters are needed by Word to uniquely identify an AutoText entry/Building Block.

How did you create the entry in the first place? Where is it stored? The AutoComplete prompt will only work for entries that are saved in the Normal template or in the template attached to the current document.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:55 AM
  • At least four unique characters are needed by Word to uniquely identify an AutoText entry/Building Block.

How did you create the entry in the first place? Where is it stored? The AutoComplete prompt will only work for entries that are saved in the Normal template or in the template attached to the current document.

In at least Word 2013 and above, AutoComplete works for any available AutoText including global templates other than normal and templates stored in the building blocks folder.

If there is an AutoText entry named "testr" and no conflicting entry also using the first four letters "test" AutoComplete will be triggered for "testr" when you type "test."

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word

(AFAIK, AutoComplete actually works for any building block. So, if you have a header building block with the name "test" it would count as a conflict and the F3 key would be needed rather than Enter.)

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:32 PM
  • In at least Word 2013 and above, AutoComplete works for any available AutoText including global templates other than normal and templates stored in the building blocks folder.

If there is an AutoText entry named "testr" and no conflicting entry also using the first four letters "test" AutoComplete will be triggered for "testr" when you type "test."

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word

(AFAIK, AutoComplete actually works for any building block. So, if you have a header building block with the name "test" it would count as a conflict and the F3 key would be needed rather than Enter.)

Charles, I am aware that AutoComplete works not only for AutoText entries, but for any type of Building Block, as long as it can be identified by Word. I guess my previous reply could have been more clear on that.

In my tests, I haven't been able to verify that AutoComplete works reliably for entries in (say) global templates, though.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:32 PM

In my tests, I haven't been able to verify that AutoComplete works reliably for entries in (say) global templates, though.

It may be time for me to retest.

In Word 2003 AutoComplete works for all AutoText. There are no building blocks.

In Word 2007 AutoComplete did not work. Period.

In Word 2010 it worked only for things in the normal template.

In Word 2013 it worked with AutoText in global templates.

Here is Word 365 showing the AutoComplete tip for an AutoText in a loaded global template.

AutoComplete prompt

AutoComplete may not work with other non-AutoText Building Blocks outside the BB folder and the normal template (and attached template). Not sure; I have not tested that. I make assumptions which is not really the best practice.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:08 AM
  • Thank you for the illustration. Still not possible to reproduce here, though...

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:52 PM
  • I guess it is another of the mysteries of Word. As I said, I noticed the change with Word 2013 to allow AutoComplete from global templates. That was also the behavior in Word 2003.

I guess it does not work "reliably" in that it is not working for you. I often use the F3 key when entering building blocks by name because I sometimes have names that do not have a unique 4-character start to the name.

Friday, August 16, 2019 2:40 PM