none
[Bug report] No option or menu to revert the windows Task Manager replacement RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm using windows 10. As you might already know, you can replace the windows built-in task manager with Process Explorer from menu "Options" -> "Replace Task Manager". But after the successful replacement, there is no option to revert the replacement. I expect I would see menu like "Restore Task Manager" or such.

To restore the task manager, I had to remove the registry path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe" in regedit.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:24 PM

All replies

• When you select the option to Use Process Explorer as Task Manager Replacement, you will see a check appear near the option itself.

If you un-check that option, it will revert back to the original setting.

HTH
    -mario

Friday, October 25, 2019 7:31 AM
  • It's different on my end, there is no checkbox at all: https://i.imgur.com/WGfdIqR.jpg

I'm using the latest version (16.30).

Friday, October 25, 2019 1:31 PM
  • You have the shield icon, meaning that  you are executing Process Explorer as non-admin.

If you will run it as an admin then you will have my picture..

And even when it is like on your picture, if you click on it after that  you will have both the check box and the shield.

The check box is the think that will let you switch from one mode to the other..

HTH
    -mario

Friday, October 25, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Ok, this is quite strange. After seeing your post, I run the procexp64.exe (the 64 bit exe is what I used all this time) as administrator and I didn't see the shield icon, but I didn't see the checkbox too. I tried clicking the "replace task manager" menu but no checkbox showed up at all.

Then I tried to run the 32 bit procexp.exe as administrator, then I tried clicking the "replace task manager" menu, and now I can see the checkbox, clicking the same menu again will remove the checkbox. The revert function also works. After that I tried running the procexp64.exe again as admin and non-admin, now the checkbox and revert function are working on both situations. Not sure what happened here, perhaps there is setting corruption caused by previous version of process explorer.

Friday, October 25, 2019 8:19 PM
  • I never had you problem.. happy it is now over for youtoo..

Thanks
    -mario

Saturday, October 26, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Ok, this is quite strange. After seeing your post, I run the procexp64.exe (the 64 bit exe is what I used all this time) as administrator and I didn't see the shield icon, but I didn't see the checkbox too. I tried clicking the "replace task manager" menu but no checkbox showed up at all.

Then I tried to run the 32 bit procexp.exe as administrator, then I tried clicking the "replace task manager" menu, and now I can see the checkbox, clicking the same menu again will remove the checkbox. The revert function also works. After that I tried running the procexp64.exe again as admin and non-admin, now the checkbox and revert function are working on both situations. Not sure what happened here, perhaps there is setting corruption caused by previous version of process explorer.

This is still a bug. I downloaded and use the 64 version because that's the computer I have. And why does it matter it we are in Rund Admin mode? If that is an issue then it should not have allowed the first iteration. Be consistent. That is the design bug.

And you should be asking why we want to Restore Task Manager. The brave ones will.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 8:11 AM
  •  And why does it matter it we are in Run Admin mode?

If you are not running Process Explorer as Administrator, you cannot change the registry key for the Task Manager.. for that reason Process Explorer show up the shield icon near the option if you are not Admin.

This is not a bug in my opinion, on the contrary Process Explorer show perfectly well how a program should work when it has to do with administrative options.

HTH
    -mario

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 8:43 AM