none
Active Directory - Resource GROUP field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using Project Server 2013 (ONLINE), and we would like to know if we sync with Active Directory can we preserve (i.e., prevent AD from over writing the resources' GROUP field?  If so, is there a reference on how to do this? 

Thanks in advance,

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)

Friday, January 9, 2015 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Spiro, As far as I know, the group field is not sync during the AD sync so it will be preserved as you wish.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Saturday, January 10, 2015 8:48 AM
  • I have seen the GROUP field used being by a AD. However, the client environment at that time was version "2003" of Project Server (not 2013). Although this is some time ago, I am sure of this because I have records and notes on this. This is why I want to know either if it is still possible to do this and if so how to enable/ disable.

Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:06 PM
  • Hi Guillaume

Note, we have found a reference in Project Server 2013 Administrator's Guide (page 184 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=38827) that says "By default, the Group field is synchronized...".  the big question is: can we disable it? If so, how?

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:43 PM
  • Hello Spiro,

I read this as the Security Group being SYNCed and not so much the Resource Profile record's GROUP field.

So, if I understand correctly, when you do the sync, it is over riding the GROUP field in the resource profile.

Also, do you happen to have USER PROFILE service enabled on your SharePoint farm?  I looked at the User Profile service and didn't see a GROUP field, but was wondering if you added one to your profile.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Hi Michael,

This situation goes back a few years, when a client of mine was using PS 2003.  When they synced with AD, they managed to pull in data from AD to populate their resources' Group field.

Now, I have another client who is on Project Online, and wants to know if they enable AD sync., can they or how do they prevent their manually updated resource Group field entries from being over-written when AD synchronizes?

I don't know if the USER PROFILE service is enabled on the SharePoint farm?   As I mentioned, we are using Project On-Line.

I presume that those of you here who may have experience administrating AD may know if fields like "Group" can be explicitly disabled from the synchronization process.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:00 PM
  • Sorry Michael,

The your response/ answer is not clear...

You asked me: 'do you happen to have USER PROFILE" service enabled on your SharePoint farm? 

Where would I check for this?  We are using Project Online.

Monday, February 9, 2015 4:49 PM