none
Timephased Fixed Cost Query RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends

I know there has been some posts about this but I still can't quite get my head around it. Consider this scenario ...

A task of 6 weeks duration assigned a fixed cost of £60,000. In the Task usage view it correctly shows £10,000 per week. So far so good. However, assume we're 4 weeks into the job but only want to show actual progress as 2 weeks in order the remaining duration is calculated as 4 weeks. Why oh why does the timephased fixed cost change from £10,000 to £10,050 per week ?? The remaining costshould still be £40,000 but is showing as £40,200. What's happening !!!!

Any advice welcomed

Swansea Jack

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:00 PM

Answers

• I would avoid using the fixed cost and instead use a 'cost' type resource.  If you create the task with the durations and assign the resource to the task and enter the cost for the resource using the 'task information/resource' dialog box you should see that issue go away.
    • Marked as answer by Swansea_Jack Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:34 PM

All replies

• I would avoid using the fixed cost and instead use a 'cost' type resource.  If you create the task with the durations and assign the resource to the task and enter the cost for the resource using the 'task information/resource' dialog box you should see that issue go away.
    • Marked as answer by Swansea_Jack Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Your first approach is to update the task more accurately. 6w duration but after 4w there is still 4w to go? One of two things has happened:

1. Task started 2w late so set actual start as 2w after original start and Actual Dur is 2w. Now the duration is still 6w and your Fixed cost is still good
    2. Total task duration is now 8w, so set actual duration to 4w and remaining duration is 4w. In Project 2010 this left the Fixed Cost at 60,000

To see where you are compared to where you said you would be, then set a Baseline before doing any updates. After updating there should never be any incomplete work in the past or any completed work in the future.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Hi Joe

Yes I found if I create a resource called 'Cost' with a rate of £1 then assign 60,000 units it does the trick !!

Many thanks

Swansea Jack

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Hi Rod

Of course you are quite right, I'm not updating it strictly correctly. However, it's not unusual to have a task starting on time but not progressing as quickly as it should hence the duration is extended [not on my jobs anyway]. I guess the failure is in reporting a 2 week actual duration whereas in fact it is 4 weeks since the task started so the actual duration is really 4 weeks [ignoring any breaks].

I've always struggled to get accurate updates from our teams when asking for any actual dates plus a % Complete figure - I guess I need actual dates plus a remaining duration figure from them instead. That way I can plug in the actual starts and amend overall durations to suit their remaining duration figure, then mark the task as 'mark on track'.

However, it still doesn't explain why MSP seems to add in that strange additional £200 to the remaining task [see my original query above]. I've discovered this can be avoid by using a dummy resource as cost.

Incidentally, please can we have the 'export timephased data to excel' function back - I know I can export to excel pivot tables but I just can't use them ! Can you influence MS to get this useful feature back ?!

Thanks for your help.

Swansea Jack

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:33 AM