none
Exchange Server 2013 send error " ... Winsock error code: 10060 "

Question

• I have added an Exchange 2013 Server to my domain which already has 2 Exchange 2007 servers. Outgoing mail from the 2013 server gets stuck in the queue with the error 

"Failed to connect. Winsock error code: 10060, Win32 error code: 10060, Error Message: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond  xx.xx.xx.xx:25"

The Exchange 2007 server can still send mail out just fine. I have removed my smart-host from the mix temporarily to make sure that it wasn't them by creating a send connector that sends directly to the internet. Some messages will get through initially but the outgoing mail queue fills up quickly with those that do not get sent.  

old286

Monday, May 9, 2016 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi , 

Welcome to our forum.

Is there an NDR when Exchange 2013 user send email to Internet?

Could Exchange 2013 user send email to Exchange 2013? Or Exchange 2010?

When Exchange 2007 is coexisted with Exchange 2013, Exchange 2013 should be published to Internet instead of Exchange 2007, please modify firewall rule, and create send connector on Exchange 2013 and remove old send connector on Exchange 2007, create receive connector on Exchange 2013 to receive Internet emails.

Please use the following link to test outbound mail flow for mailbox on Exchange 2013, then post error for our troubleshooting:

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:32 AM

All replies

• I have added an Exchange 2013 Server to my domain which already has 2 Exchange 2007 servers. Outgoing mail from the 2013 server gets stuck in the queue with the error 

"Failed to connect. Winsock error code: 10060, Win32 error code: 10060, Error Message: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond  xx.xx.xx.xx:25"

The Exchange 2007 server can still send mail out just fine. I have removed my smart-host from the mix temporarily to make sure that it wasn't them by creating a send connector that sends directly to the internet. Some messages will get through initially but the outgoing mail queue fills up quickly with those that do not get sent.  

old286

Sounds like an issue with your firewall.  I would start with looking at the firewall and looking at the NAT and access rules to make sure they're correct.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Monday, May 9, 2016 3:00 PM
  • If it were the firewall or NAT it would affect both the Exchange 2007 and the Exchange 2013 server. The Exchange 2007 server does not experience this problem.

old286

Monday, May 9, 2016 3:32 PM
  • If it were the firewall or NAT it would affect both the Exchange 2007 and the Exchange 2013 server. The Exchange 2007 server does not experience this problem.

old286

Is your smart host located onprem or in the cloud?  Still sounds like a firewall rule that isn't configured correctly.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Monday, May 9, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Thank for your replies. I have tested telnet on port 25, to my other Exchange Server and out to my smart host and they both work fine. I have modified my firewall and double checked that its port allowance is correct. 

Also, remember I stated that with the current send connector, I am not using the smart host but going directly to the Internet with outbound mail.

old286

Monday, May 9, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

old286

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Hi , 

Welcome to our forum.

Is there an NDR when Exchange 2013 user send email to Internet?

Could Exchange 2013 user send email to Exchange 2013? Or Exchange 2010?

When Exchange 2007 is coexisted with Exchange 2013, Exchange 2013 should be published to Internet instead of Exchange 2007, please modify firewall rule, and create send connector on Exchange 2013 and remove old send connector on Exchange 2007, create receive connector on Exchange 2013 to receive Internet emails.

Please use the following link to test outbound mail flow for mailbox on Exchange 2013, then post error for our troubleshooting:

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:32 AM