none
Office 365 OWA connecting to a shared calendar fails

Question

• We have multiple shared public calendars, which work fine within Outlook and up until a few days ago worked fine in Office 365 OWA as well. But yesterday we started getting complaints from users that they could no longer access these calendars, even though nothing has changed. When you click on the shared calendar, under Other Calendars, you get the popup message "Couldn't open calendar. A connection couldn't be made with the shared calendar. Remove the calendar and try to add it again, or ask the owner to share it again."

I have checked the permissions and all seems fine, in fact the same happens to the owner of the shared calendar if they try to access it in OWA. I don't wish to recreate the shares as the message says as this affects a lot of calendars/ users and since the owner can't access it I don't see it solving the issue.

I also tried setting this up on another Office 365 account and the exact same problem was seen so I suspect something has been changed on the back end in the last few days which has caused this issue.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:18 AM

All replies

• We have multiple shared public calendars, which work fine within Outlook and up until a few days ago worked fine in Office 365 OWA as well. But yesterday we started getting complaints from users that they could no longer access these calendars, even though nothing has changed. When you click on the shared calendar, under Other Calendars, you get the popup message "Couldn't open calendar. A connection couldn't be made with the shared calendar. Remove the calendar and try to add it again, or ask the owner to share it again."

I have checked the permissions and all seems fine, in fact the same happens to the owner of the shared calendar if they try to access it in OWA. I don't wish to recreate the shares as the message says as this affects a lot of calendars/ users and since the owner can't access it I don't see it solving the issue.

I also tried setting this up on another Office 365 account and the exact same problem was seen so I suspect something has been changed on the back end in the last few days which has caused this issue.

You should open a ticket with 365 support.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:52 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Are there much connection on this shared calendar?

I suppose it might be caused by throttling limitation, as Andy mentioned, please contact Office 365 support team to check it.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:06 AM
  • Having the exact same issue have you got any where with it?
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:14 PM
  • FYI Looks like its an acknowledged issue now.

EX143410 - Problem opening public folder calendars from Outlook on the web.

Monday, July 2, 2018 8:16 AM
  • I've been having the same issue. Is it a problem on Microsoft's side or is there a fix for it?
    Monday, July 2, 2018 3:27 PM
  • I have the exact same problem.

I've tried clicking the removing from favorites in https://outlook.office.com/owa/ then Right clicking folders  and selecting 'Add public folder to favorites > Navigated to the shared calendar in the public folder > Added to favorites. When I click on the calendar I get the above message: Couldn't open calendar - A connection couldn't be made with the shared calendar. Remove the calendar and try to add it again, or ask the own to share it again. This must be an issue on the Microsoft side as nothing has changed our end.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 10:02 AM
  • From the Office 365 Admin Portal...

EX143410 - Problem opening public folder calendars from Outlook on the web.

Current status: We've initiated deployment to the affected environments and expect it to complete by Friday, July 6, 2018.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 10:11 AM