Explorer.exe crashes accessing control panel items RRS feed

• Question

• x64 Ultimate SP1 on Dell L702X

Explorer crashes whenever I attempt to access various control panel items. This only occurs within my primary profile.

I have not recently installed any 3rd-party cpl items. I have disabled all user specific startups and removed/installed Intel HD Dell driver.

I have not been able to reproduce in minimal Safe Mode but was able to reproduce in Safe/Networking. I then tried to recreate crash in Safe/Net but could not. The next two logins for the problematic profile were fine. Problem returned upon 3rd login.

Full scan with latest N360 found nothing but some tracking cookies. Solid black desktop background...no gadgets.

I did, however, perform anytime upg from Pro to Ultimate. I did not notice any crash immediately after upgrade and, aside from video driver, have not installed or removed anything.

Also tried that ShellExView procedure with no luck.

Bewildered and appreciate any suggestions.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:03 AM

Answers

• Apologies as I negelected to mention have done the *.cpl test and clean boot. Directly opening any cpl item works fine. Crash still occurs during clean.

So I just attempted profile procedure as outlined http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

However, logged in with Administrator account, I am unable to copy from old profile to new. Took ownership of both folders and system still will not copy. Any suggestions?

Bill
    • Marked as answer by BillMann Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:23 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:38 AM
  • I've identified the problem. I revisited the event log and noticed a warning within 1min span of each explorer crash:

Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Search Date: 4/21/2012 5:54:14 AM Event ID: 3036 Task Category: Gatherer Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: XPS17 Description: The content source <csc: {S-1-5-21-76589163-826063602-1318846529-1014}="">cannot be accessed. Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog Details: The URL was already processed during this update. If you received this message while processing alerts, then the alerts are redundant, or else Modify should be used instead of Add. (HRESULT : 0x80040d0d) (0x80040d0d) </csc:>

I restored cached folders to original location and after numerous restarts, explorer has remained stable.

This makes my 4th CSC complication since January, 2011 with each manifesting in very different ways.

I think it's time to grow-up to Live Mesh :D

Best,
    Bill

• Marked as answer by BillMann Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:29 AM
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:29 AM

All replies

• Neglected to post the event data...
    Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a144
    Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7c9a6
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000009a749
    Faulting process id: 0x1100
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd180b00f74dc8
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
    Report Id: 48e5473e-83fe-11e1-b9a7-848f69b67bbc

I've extracted explorer.exe, system32\shell32.dll & syswow64\shell32.dll from install.wim and replaced existing files in Windows folders.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

If the issue only occurs on your primary profile, it is mostly caused by corrupted profile. Please try the following steps to repair the profile. If the issue persists, you may need to create a new profile.

Method 1:
    ---------------
    1. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Extract and run "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.
    3. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.
    4. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes. Then restart the and check the result.

Method 2:
    ---------------
    System File Checker
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 3:
    --------------
    Repair install
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Method 4:
    ---------------
    Fix a corrupted user profile
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Niki,

Thank you for the suggesting. I had already done 1 & 2, just neglected to mention. I'll give 3 & 4 a try and let you know.

Best,
    Bill

Friday, April 13, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Hi Bill,

Any update on this issue?

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere

Niki Han

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:48 AM
  • My apologies... an SBS issue has my focus recently.

I did perform the upgrade install using a Win7 Ultimate SP1 disc. No crashing for the first few logins...good sign. I then proceeded to install the 70+ updates which resulted in explorer crashing after the reboot. I have yet to begin the arduous process of installing one update at a time. :|

However, I have noticed that the crashing does not occur if I wait a period of time before access control panel items. I haven't determined the minimum wait.

I'm now inclined to think there is something loading in the troubled profile which isn't loading in others. I've used several startup managers and cannot identify any variance in startups between profiles.

Is there somewhere else I might look before restoring and reinstalling Windows updates?

Best,
    Bill

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Hi,

Let's verify which control panel item causes the issue.

1. Navigate to "c:\Windows\System32\"
    2. In the search box, type "*.cpl", it will find all Control Panel items.
    3. Now you start a manual process of double clicking on each control panel item. If you encounter an error when opening one, please let me know the name.
    4. .Once you have identified the item that is crashing, you can rename it (e.g., add a ".bak" extension to it)

Meanwhile, you can perform a clean boot for a test.

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:35 AM
  • Apologies as I negelected to mention have done the *.cpl test and clean boot. Directly opening any cpl item works fine. Crash still occurs during clean.

So I just attempted profile procedure as outlined http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

However, logged in with Administrator account, I am unable to copy from old profile to new. Took ownership of both folders and system still will not copy. Any suggestions?

Bill
    • Marked as answer by BillMann Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:23 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:38 AM
  • I've identified the problem. I revisited the event log and noticed a warning within 1min span of each explorer crash:

Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Search Date: 4/21/2012 5:54:14 AM Event ID: 3036 Task Category: Gatherer Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: XPS17 Description: The content source <csc: {S-1-5-21-76589163-826063602-1318846529-1014}="">cannot be accessed. Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog Details: The URL was already processed during this update. If you received this message while processing alerts, then the alerts are redundant, or else Modify should be used instead of Add. (HRESULT : 0x80040d0d) (0x80040d0d) </csc:>

I restored cached folders to original location and after numerous restarts, explorer has remained stable.

This makes my 4th CSC complication since January, 2011 with each manifesting in very different ways.

I think it's time to grow-up to Live Mesh :D

Best,
    Bill

• Marked as answer by BillMann Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:29 AM
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:29 AM