none
Sysprep and Capture fails after applying Windows Updates to Windows 10 Enterprise image RRS feed

• Question

• I have been successfully updating our corporate Windows 10 Ent image with Windows Updates and then capturing the .wim until this week.  My process has been to deploy our current base image (no apps installed) via MDT to a Hyper-V VM, run Windows Updates, then run Sysprep and Capture to create an updated .wim.  As of this week, after updating the VM, the S&C TS will stall after attempting to run the Sysprep step, then the VM reboots and returns to the Windows OS that has been updated.

This only happens after running Windows Updates.  As a test, I ran the S&C TS immediately after deploying the base .wim to a VM, and it ran flawlessly.

I have not changed any of my TS's and the S&C TS is not customized in any way.  I'm using MDT 2013 Update 1.

Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you running a cleanup command ?? I have seen some problems wi9th sysprep after running the cleanup command.

What are in the logfiles??

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:00 PM
  • Thanks for replying Per.

I'm not running anything special beyond the default Sysprep and Capture TS.  I've deployed  my current .wim onto a VM via MDT, taken a snapshot, then ran my S&C TS immediately.  S&C runs normally.  I then reverted the VM snapshot, ran Windows Updates and took another snapshot.  Running the exact S&C TS after the updates fails.  The VM just reboots and there are no entries in the setupact.log (C:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther\) for today's date.  Also there are no errors in the BDD.log.

Are there other logs I need to check?

Thanks again for your reply

Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:50 PM
  • Hi

As I read it - the sysprep process is running correctly.

So the problem is that it never put down the Winpe and capture the image?

Have you tried to create a build and capture task sequence - when the task sequence is installing the OS and automatic capture the image ??

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Maybe I'm not being clear.

1. Loaded our current customized image onto a Hyper-V VM using our standard MDT TS.

2. Ran our normal Win10 default Sysprep and Capture TS.

Result: The S&C TS runs normally and creates a .wim

3. Loaded our current customized image (same as in Step 1. above) onto a Hyper-V VM using our standard MDT TS.

4. Ran Windows Updates

5. Ran our normal Win10 default Sysprep and Capture TS (same as Step 2. above)

Result: The S&C TS stalls at the Sysprep phase, reboots and returns to the OS.

The only difference in the above scenarios is I run Windows Updates the second time.  Neither the setupact.log nor the BDD.log have entries after the second test.

I have re-created the default S&C TS several times and the above tests are the same.

Friday, June 17, 2016 12:53 PM