none
CMS Suggestions RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

I'm in the process of implenting MOF at a small business (less than 50 employees). I'm starting with the Management layer at the Change Management SMF since this is my primary taks right now.

My question is, what does everyone use a Configuration Management System? Since this the heart of Change Management, I need to get this ironed out and set up.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

I am not going to answer your question directly and I am going on an assumption that with a 50 user org that the technology implementations are not very complicated. My advice to you would be not to focus so much on the CMS upfront. Rather focus on the outcomes of the Change Management, learn a few things about what this org really needs for a CMS and then look at developing it. Reason I say this is because a CMS can really be a bottomless pit, sucking up so much time, and not producing the expected benefits - sorry but I have seen too many folks go down this path and throw their hands up in despair.

Perhaps start by documenting the simple things about the services - you can use a SharePoint, Visio, or even Excel to help you with this. Start simple and build the information into it that you find you need - accept it is an ongoing exercise :)

Cheers
    Gary
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Really Gary suggestions are so helpful, and I’m agree!

First idea is mapping your processes and necessity (using SharePoint, Visio and Excel, like Gary said), or to do this if this don't exist yet (discussing and planning this). A great MOF characteristic is the adaptable for companies of many size and types. Define that what you (and you company) will need and use from MOF.

Now, from the technical half (J), my suggestion is you try to use System Center Essentials (SCE) 2007. This solution indicated for small a medium business with up 30 server and 500 desktops. With SCE you have:

·         Pro-active monitoring

·         Health and Performance monitoring for your servers/desktops/devices

·         Reports and more reports

·         Hardware and Software inventory

·         Software Updates management

·         Software Distribution (like Adobe, Office and more) (no Operating System deployment)

·         and little more features.

Using System Center solutions suite you will have a very close approach of MOF/ITIL. You have Operations Manager (OpsMgr/SCOM) for monitoring and control, Configuration Management (ConfigMgr/SCCM) for change and configuration, Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) for backup and protect data, and Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) for manage your virtual machine environment. But, these solutions apply to Enterprise companies. For you SCE is the best, I love this solution

Hope this helps

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    www.mof.com.br | www.clebermarques.com | www.clebermarques.com.br
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:48 AM