W-7 did not reconize the other 2 XPPro's RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I have 3 harddrives, One has XPPro- 32bit, one has XPPro- 64. On the 3rd one I installed Windows 7-64 bit.. All went fine, W 7 is wonderful. Trouble is when I booted it up again it was the only windows showing on the computer. It scared the *** out of me. I used the Super Grub Disk to boot the other 2 operating systems. They were fine. I put in the 64 cd and  Pressed the "R", logged into D drive which has the 64 and boot record. Typed in BOOTCFG /LIST. That only brought up both XPPro 32 & 64. The windows 7 is a no show so I couldn't add into the boot list. Messed with it for 3 days now. I guess MS has made it so It doesen't play nice with it's other OS's The next thing is to use the XPPro64 to clean off that harddrive. Does any one have any ideas before it gets wiped??  The computer is a Asus M4A78 Pro with a Phenom II- 4 core and 8gig sticks. --- Thanks, Deafbus
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• Have You changed the boot sequence in BIOS during
    the installation of Win7? So that the Win7 HDD became
    the first of 3 discs, immediately after DVD drive?
    If yes, it would explain the disappearence of 2 XP's
    from the boot menu. To restore XP's it will then be sufficient
    to restore original boot sequence, before the Win7 installation.
    But in this case there would naturally be no Win7 entry in the boot menu.
    The simpest way to get the triple boot menu is to reinstall Win7 without changing
    the boot sequence. The other way is to add 2 XP entries to Win7 entry
    (if one boots from Win7 drive) or to add Win7 entry if one boots from XP drive.
    This can be done with the program EasyBCD. But in the second case (adding Win7 to XPs)
    one is to replace XP's bootsector with that of Win7 with "Bootsect.exe /NT60 X:",
    where X: is the drive letter of XP 64 drive. Bootsect.exe is situated in the folder "boot"
    of Win7 installation DVD. One is as well to copy the file "bootmgr" from the root
    of Win7 disk to that of XP 64 disk, before using EasyBCD.

• Marked as answer by Deafbus Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Does your system/bios support a boot selection screen by pressing either f8 or f11?

When you boot, immediately try tapping f8 to see if you get a bios boot menu selection
    screen.

If that doesn't work, then try tapping f11.  Many newer model systems support this function.

If either works, that is a temporary workaround to enable you to boot into any of you
    systems.

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 8gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.7 Please return to forum and post your results.
    • Proposed as answer by snifferpro Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:04 PM
  • To handle the booting, download VistaBootPro from here

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Thanks a lot. F-8 worked like a charm. I was ready to brake the partition on the  harddrive that has W-7. I don't understand why W-7 made itself a 100mg partition when I gave it all of that harddrive. I finally got both XPPro's back booting properly but then W-7 was not listed. Thank, Deafbus.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:35 PM
  • That is a temporary workaround.  You still have to correct the actual boot sector.

Easybcd is the way to go for that.

Good luck

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 8gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.7 Please return to forum and post your results.
    • Marked as answer by Deafbus Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:44 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:54 PM
  • < I don't understand why W-7 made itself a 100mg partition when I gave it all of that harddrive.>
    That's its \boot partition - it's used to store the bootloader, as well as Bitlocker info.  Don't delete it.  ;)

That partition is on the same physical disc as Win7, or no? 

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:42 PM
  • The 100mb partition is used by bit locker.  If you are not using bit locker you can delete it.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:48 PM

All replies

• To handle the booting, download VistaBootPro from here

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Have You changed the boot sequence in BIOS during
    the installation of Win7? So that the Win7 HDD became
    the first of 3 discs, immediately after DVD drive?
    If yes, it would explain the disappearence of 2 XP's
    from the boot menu. To restore XP's it will then be sufficient
    to restore original boot sequence, before the Win7 installation.
    But in this case there would naturally be no Win7 entry in the boot menu.
    The simpest way to get the triple boot menu is to reinstall Win7 without changing
    the boot sequence. The other way is to add 2 XP entries to Win7 entry
    (if one boots from Win7 drive) or to add Win7 entry if one boots from XP drive.
    This can be done with the program EasyBCD. But in the second case (adding Win7 to XPs)
    one is to replace XP's bootsector with that of Win7 with "Bootsect.exe /NT60 X:",
    where X: is the drive letter of XP 64 drive. Bootsect.exe is situated in the folder "boot"
    of Win7 installation DVD. One is as well to copy the file "bootmgr" from the root
    of Win7 disk to that of XP 64 disk, before using EasyBCD.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Does your system/bios support a boot selection screen by pressing either f8 or f11?

When you boot, immediately try tapping f8 to see if you get a bios boot menu selection
    screen.

If that doesn't work, then try tapping f11.  Many newer model systems support this function.

If either works, that is a temporary workaround to enable you to boot into any of you
    systems.

• Proposed as answer by snifferpro Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Thanks a lot. F-8 worked like a charm. I was ready to brake the partition on the  harddrive that has W-7. I don't understand why W-7 made itself a 100mg partition when I gave it all of that harddrive. I finally got both XPPro's back booting properly but then W-7 was not listed. Thank, Deafbus.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:35 PM
  • That is a temporary workaround.  You still have to correct the actual boot sector.

Easybcd is the way to go for that.

Good luck

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:54 PM
  • < I don't understand why W-7 made itself a 100mg partition when I gave it all of that harddrive.>
    That's its \boot partition - it's used to store the bootloader, as well as Bitlocker info.  Don't delete it.  ;)

That partition is on the same physical disc as Win7, or no? 

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:42 PM
  • The 100mb partition is used by bit locker.  If you are not using bit locker you can delete it.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:48 PM